First Bull Run manassas // bull run naming convention?

Am i wrong in thinking that the majority of the battles shared a common name, those noted above being the anomaly?

Battles With Dual Names

Date of Battle Confederate Name Federal Name

July 21, 1861 First Manassas Bull Run
Aug. 10, 1861 Oak Hills Wilson's Creek
Oct. 21, 1861 Leesburg Ball's Bluff
Jan. 19, 1862 Mill Springs Logan's Cross Roads
Mar. 7-8, 1862 Elkhorn Tavern Pea Ridge
Apr. 6-7, 1862 Shiloh Pittsburg Landing
June 27, 1862 Gaines's Mill Chickahominy
Aug. 29-30,1862 Second Manassas Second Bull Run
Sept. 1, 1862 Ox Hill Chantilly
Sept. 14, 1862 Boonsboro South Mountain
Sept. 17, 1862 Sharpsburg Antietam
Oct. 8, 1862 Perryville Chaplin Hills
Dec. 31, 1862-Jan 2, 1863 Murfreesboro Stones River
Apr. 8, 1864 Mansfield Sabine Cross Roads Sept. 19, 1864 Winchester Opequon Creek

Pardon the spacing but it did not work!!!!!!!!

http://civilwarhome.com/battlenames.htm

Actually it was more than just several. Many battles, from 1861-65, have more than one name. If not named for a nearby body of water or town, it was often named for the road(s), farmland, or property over which it was fought. In some cases it was a matter of who fought where on the battlefield.

One of the those with the most is the June 30, 1862 battle of Glendale/Frayser's Farm/Frazier's Farm/Nelson's Farm/Charles City Crossroads/New Market Road/Willis Church Road/Riddell's Shop.

The above are just a few examples. Actually I think the majority of the battles had two or more names....

Last edited:
I think one of the things we are overlooking is who named them. Most civilians both North & South had no way to know that a battle was even going on, or much less a name until that got their hands on a newspaper or from the telegraph operator. The newspaper were just like the newspapers of today in that they wanted to sell papers.

I think one of the things we are overlooking is who named them. Most civilians both North & South had no way to know that a battle was even going on, or much less a name until that got their hands on a newspaper or from the telegraph operator. The newspaper were just like the newspapers of today in that they wanted to sell papers.

what's so bad about selling papers? writing bullsh*t is.

there's nothing wrong with selling papers. Most people didn't even know there was a battle going on. I think I will look at Northern and Southern papers write ups about the same battles. Let you know what I find out.

Last town they passed thru. Last town alot of boys passed thru. Let me add that i have read of many carrying small maps. Read of them having compasses. Heck, read of one guy in Jackson's command having a thermometer!

Back