Restricted Majority say Confederate statues should remain: poll

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I have yet to find a single poll in four years of watching this trend where a majority does not want monuments to remain right where they are. And yet they keep coming down. Are governments listening to their constituents? It would seem not.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/5...zMrelqcihRIxHX9FHMX9kq2j2PSAsMMMNUl9GjWM1lP9U

A majority of voters said they believe statues of Confederate figures should remain standing despite nationwide calls to remove them from public spaces, according to a new Harvard CAPS/Harris poll released Tuesday to The Hill.​
Fifty-eight percent of respondents said the statues should remain, while 42 percent said they should be removed.​
---------------------​
"Americans opposed tearing down statues, even Confederate ones, and they particularly oppose them being torn down by protesters rather than defended by the authorities," said Mark Penn, polling director for the Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey. "The poll suggests that Americans see a huge amount of racism in the country and believe in police reform but so far oppose taking down any statues."​

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
There was another one a few weeks ago, so these are current opinions, with all that's happened in the last month:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...qXWWW-5gZrnoWPbF8V_VgmovLKSe8GwhglzrXgqiIgYmA
The survey, taken June 6-7, showed that a greater number of Americans believe Confederate statues should remain standing, 44 percent, as opposed to the 32 percent who say they should be removed. Twenty-three percent expressed no opinion on the matter.​
The findings reflect a slight shift in opinion over the last three years. In August 2017, 52 percent of voters indicated that the statues should be left alone, with just over a quarter, 26 percent, indicating otherwise.​

Last edited:

Scott1967

Sergeant
Democracy in action but it doesn't apply to bigots and anarchists whose only aim is to create division in society to justify their own actions.

It should be about Social Injustice instead they have created a racist agenda and the statues are easy targets as they cant speak move or fightback.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
I guess it depends on which poll you view.

I saw one today saying 52% want them to be removed.

Point is the views change quickly. Maybe the only polls that should matter are the ones given by local communities vice national news media ones.

I'll try and find the article.