Major

General Ambrose E. Burnside's favourite warhorse: bob-tailed Major.

(Bob-tailed horse - the tail of the horse is docked-meaning cut at the tailbone and unable to swing it's tail to hit flies off. More fashion then practical and meant suffering of biting flies to the horse).

Here's a story of the horse Major:

His favorite horse, the gift of some unknown friend, that borne him on many a hard-fought field, lived to the age of nigh thirty years, and, long past service to his owner, became, by reason of age and infirmity, a burden to himself, till life was nothing but a prolonged suffering. Yet the General was reluctant, even at the dictate of humanity, to have him killed. At last he yielded, and ordered the animal to be shot, but not till he should have departed for Washington. The time of that departure never came. The day when the lifeless body of the Senator was borne from the farm that he loved so well, the faithful beast was shot.

(from the memorial address of Mr Anthony, delivered in the Senate, 1882, upon the death of Genl Burnside)

General Ambrose E. Burnside's favourite warhorse: bob-tailed Major.

(Bob-tailed horse - the tail of the horse is docked-meaning cut at the tailbone and unable to swing it's tail to hit flies off. More fashion then practical and meant suffering of biting flies to the horse).

Here's a story of the horse Major:

His favorite horse, the gift of some unknown friend, that borne him on many a hard-fought field, lived to the age of nigh thirty years, and, long past service to his owner, became, by reason of age and infirmity, a burden to himself, till life was nothing but a prolonged suffering. Yet the General was reluctant, even at the dictate of humanity, to have him killed. At last he yielded, and ordered the animal to be shot, but not till he should have departed for Washington. The time of that departure never came. The day when the lifeless body of the Senator was borne from the farm that he loved so well, the faithful beast was shot.

(from the memorial address of Mr Anthony, delivered in the Senate, 1882, upon the death of Genl Burnside)

ME, thanks for the info. I did not know that Burnside was elected to the US Senate. (another one in the column under "News to me") I understand his reluctance to lose the horse he depended on throughout his service. Is it unusual for a horse to live 30 years? It's hard to believe that it was not killed during the war.

Lee

Dear Glorybound,

I've seen my fellow equestrians have their childhood pony still living at age 36 to 40 years old. They didn't part with them and tote their kids and grand kids around.

Though old, arthritic, teeth worn --if you take care of a horse as a pet or your best friend; they'll live off of love more than they do the feed or hay. By time the horse is in their 30's their teeth are like this < closed
the sharp edges of the teeth need to be filed (called floating in the equestrian world). The grain might need to be smashed finer as their grinding teeth are worn. Bran mashes and other food stock to be altered for the old timer. Corn would be best for warmth and fattening the horse. Oats are an energy grain, short lived and no fat; barley is a filler. No quality to the grain for horses. But--Grass is the best for horses.

I had to put a horse down that wasn't that old but, I swear to you; that the veterinarian had to repeat the deadly dose; my horse and I were so bonded and I did love him so--more than any love for a human really. The horse wouldn't die. He fought to live until the drugs took over but; I'm sure he had the will to live but; it would be no kindness to let him suffer. The Vet did all they could but; sometimes it is an awful thing to survive a horse's death. I certainly would have taken his place.
---------------------------------------
Name BURNSIDE, Ambrose Everett
Born May 23 1824, Liberty IN
Died September 13 1881, Bristol RI
Pre-War Profession Tailor, graduated West Point 1847, Mexican war, frontier duty, resigned US Army 1853, businessman, militia officer.
War Service 1861 organized 1st Rhode Island - Col., commanded a brigade at First Bull Run, August 1861 appointed Brig. Gen. of Volunteers, led expeditions against the North Carolina coast, New Berne, March 1862 promoted Maj. Gen. of Volunteers, commanded Left Wing at Antietam, ordered to command Army of the Potomac November 1862, Fredericksburg, commanded Dept. of the Ohio, Knoxville, commanded IX corps at Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Petersburg, Crater, relieved of command, resigned April 1865.
Post War Career Governor, businessman, US senator.
Notes An unwilling commander of the Army of the Potomac.
On the Internet U. S. Major General Ambrose Everett Burnside
Further reading
Marvel, William Burnside Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina Press, 1991
Poore, Benjamin Perley The life and public services of Ambrose E. Burnside, soldier, citizen, statesman Providence RI, Reid, 1882

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

Back