2nd Manassas Major Lewis Ginter, the "Fighting Commissary"

Andy Cardinal

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Major-Lewis-Ginter-1946-101.jpg

Lewis Ginter was a prominent Richmond businessman, purportedly worth $200,000 when the Civil War began. Although born in New York, Ginter remained loyal to his adopted Virginia. He sold his business, invested the proceeds, and enlisted. He was appointed Commissary in Joseph Anderson's brigade and then later retained that position in Edward Thomas's brigade, which was part of A. P. Hill's famous "Light Division."

At Second Manassas, Captain William Norwood of a Georgia Regiment had been wounded. Ginter volunteered to command the company. On the second day at of the battle, Ginter led his company in a counterattack and drove back the attackers. Ammunition ran low. Part of Hill's division famously defended their position by hurling rocks at the attackers. Hill called out, "Good for you, boys! Give them the rocks and bayonets, and hold your position, and I will soon have ammunition and reinforcements for you." Meanwhile, Ginter collected all the ammunition he could and passed it out to soldiers on the front lines while the fighting raged.

Ginter felt lucky to have survived Second Manassas, saying, "It is by the grace of God that I am here." In recognition of his performance under fire that day, Ginter was afterwards known as the "Fighting Commissary."

Sources:
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
Lewis Ginter: Richmond's Gilded Age Icon

Captain William Norwood of a Georgia Regiment
I believe but am not certain that might have been the Capt. William Norwood who was serving as Assistant Adjutant General of Edward L Thomas' brigade of A P Hill's Light Division? That brigade consisted of the 14th, 35th, 45th and 49th Georgia. William Norwood originally enlisted as a Private in Company F, 21st Virginia. On September 5, 1861, Brig Gen Joseph Reid Anderson tapped him to serve as his Aide-de-Camp with a rank of Lieutenant. Anderson was wounded June 30, 1862; he resigned and returned to Richmond to run Tredegar. Col Edward L Thomas of the 35th Georgia was promoted to command the brigade and William Norwood served as his AAG. There is no record in his file indicating that he was wounded at Second Manassas, but his FindAGrave memorial says he was thrice wounded. If I've got the correct William Norwood, here is a link to his Find A Grave memorial https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8677515/william-norwood
1576360108687.png
1576360256247.png
1576361025835.png

1576362343029.png

The Times Dispatch., February 08, 1914, page 6.

Last edited:
There is a saying now, "Southern by the grace of God" which gives a very distinct echo of the quote attributed to Ginter, "It is by the grace of God that I am here", making me wonder if it is the origination of it.
Lubliner.

Back