1877 – 1881: Arkansas State Treasurer​
1881 – 1883: Governor of Arkansas​
1883 – 1905: Farmer in Arkansas​

Died: May 14, 1905

Place of Death: Little Rock, Arkansas

Age at time of Death: 81 years old

Burial Place: Mount Hope Cemetery, Little Rock, Arkansas

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised there isn't more on Brooks-Baxter war in reconstruction forum. An inter Republican war during reconstruction. Reconstruction must have been working as freedmen allied with former Confederates on both sides. General Fagan allied with Brooks.

THE BATTLE OF RICHMOND KENTUCKY by Kenneth A. Hafendorfer

1646922269715.png

Review by Kenneth
Hafendorfer covers the battle of Richmond KY in great detail, in some cases down to company level – always down to regimental level. Full of observations by the men who fought the battle and wrote home or in their diaries about it. I followed the flow of the troop movements and fighting with no problem. The maps could have been better, but with the explanations written below each map were clear enough for me. Editing text is not the skill it use to be, so expect some typos, but not so many as to be disruptive or confusing.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

THE BATTLE OF RICHMOND KENTUCKY by Kenneth A. Hafendorfer

View attachment 434616

Review by Kenneth
Hafendorfer covers the battle of Richmond KY in great detail, in some cases down to company level – always down to regimental level. Full of observations by the men who fought the battle and wrote home or in their diaries about it. I followed the flow of the troop movements and fighting with no problem. The maps could have been better, but with the explanations written below each map were clear enough for me. Editing text is not the skill it use to be, so expect some typos, but not so many as to be disruptive or confusing.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
This is a great read. Seems I recall hearing Hafendorfer wrote an account of Perryville, but now out of print?

Need to track down a copy- I am perhaps one of very few who don't care for Noe's book.

I was reading a book about Walker's Greyhounds during the Red River Campaign. There were 7 generals attending the burial of Gen. Scurry at Tulip, Arkansas following the Battle of Jenkin's Ferry. Churchill was one of them. An hour after burying Scurry they learned that Gen. Horace Randal also died from his wounds so they buried him with military honors the next day. I'm assuming Gen. Churchill attended this burial as well.

Last edited:
This is a great read. Seems I recall hearing Hafendorfer wrote an account of Perryville, but now out of print?

Need to track down a copy- I am perhaps one of very few who don't care for Noe's book.

Here you go, sir...

HTHs,
USS ALASKA

Churchill started out as Colonel in the Arkansas Mounted Rifles (which only at Wilson's Creek did they ever fight mounted). He would be promoted to brigadier and command of a brigade after the deaths of Ben McCulloch and James McIntosh at Pea Ridge, and would go on to lead a two brigade division (of his Arkansans, later under McNair, and another of dismounted Texans, later under Ector) in the Kentucky Campaign, playing a role at Richmond alongside Cleburne and Kirby Smith.
After this, he was transferred west of the Mississippi to command Fort Hindman at Arkansas Post, with mostly Texan troops. His command was forced to surrender to Admiral David Porter and General McClernand. His men were exchanged in Virginia and transferred to the Army of Tennessee, where they were assigned as a consolidated briagde in Patrick Cleburne's Division (this command would later become Granbury's Brigade). However, he only was present for the Tullahoma Campaign, transferring across the Mississippi once again to command Arkansas troops once more.
His last actions occurred in opposing the Red River Campaign and the Camden Expedition. In the former, he marched his "corps" of Arkansan and Missouri infantry to reinforce Taylor's army in Louisiana, and took part in the Battle of Pleasant Hill. He then would remarch his command north and lead troops at Jenkins' Ferry. He would end the war as commander of the Arkansas Infantry Division

Back