Major General Patrick R. Cleburne, C.S.A.

Confederate Major General Patrick R. Cleburne was mortally wounded on this day in 1864 at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee.

View attachment 382907
Nice bump for the anniversary.
I've been meaning to get more books on Franklin and Nashville this Christmas, to get more detail on these battles than Shrouds of Glory and Stonewall of the West provide me.
But from my current standpoint: Franklin was probably the most tragic moment of the Confederacy. I do not think the Confederate cause was worth its weight, or it deserved to succede. But at that point in the war, the Confederacy's days were numbered. Hood could have been the better man and just not gone on his pointless offensive, or better yet, not wasted the lives of his men in the pointless fights at Franklin and Nashville.

1606763947335.png

Patrick Cleburne was a great leader and received less recognition, since he was in the western theatre and likely was less popular with Davis when he suggested enlisting slaves in the Confederate cause in exchange for their freedom, late in the War. My dad’s birthplace is located in his namesake county of Cleburne, Alabama (located on the Georgia line, as you head east to Atlanta).

Patrick Ronayne Cleburne (March 17, 1828 – November 30, 1864) was an Irish American soldier, best known for his service in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. Cleburne was born in County Cork, Ireland. Cleburne served in the 41st Regiment of Foot, a Welsh regiment of the British Army, after failing to gain entrance into Trinity College of Medicine in 1846. He emigrated to the United States three years later. At the beginning of the Civil War, Cleburne sided with the Confederate States. He progressed from being a private soldier in the local militia to a division commander (major general). Cleburne participated in many successful military campaigns, especially the Battle of Stones River, the Battle of Missionary Ridge and the Battle of Ringgold Gap. His strategic ability gained him the nickname "Stonewall of the West". He was mortally wounded during a frontal assault near the Carter Cotton Gin at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee on November 30th, 1864.

* Major General Patrick Ronayne Cleburne, C.S.A. painting at the Tennessee State Museum (Nashville).

View attachment 94887

* Cleburne at the Battle of Richmond, Kentucky.

View attachment 94888

* Cleburne at the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky (Doctor's Creek).

View attachment 94890

* Cleburne at the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee (Rhea Spring just southeast of Shiloh Church).

View attachment 94891

* Cleburne at the Battle of Missionary Ridge, Tennessee (Tunnel Hill : Chattanooga Campaign)

View attachment 94892

* Cleburne at the Battle of Pickett's Mill, Georgia (Site of Pickett's Mill).

View attachment 94893

* Cleburne at the Battle of Stones River, Tennessee.

View attachment 94894

* Cleburne at the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee (Winstead Hill) painting.

View attachment 94895

* Cleburne Monument on Winstead Hill overlooking the city of Franklin, Tennessee.

View attachment 94896

* Cleburne at the Harrison House just south of Winstead Hill painting.

View attachment 94897

* The Harrison House.

View attachment 94898

* Cleburne's Frontal Assault near the Carter Cotton Gin painting.

View attachment 94899

* Cleburne Death Site Memorial near the Carter Cotton Gin.

View attachment 94900

* Cleburne's body was transported from the battlefield to the Carnton Plantation.

View attachment 94901

Cleburne's display at the Rogers House at the Battle of Richmond, Kentucky.

View attachment 94902

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (except paintings).
Thank you for sharing, well put together.

General Patrick Cleburne bronze statue in downtown Cleburne, Texas.

1607282912861.png

1607282912567.png

1607282873180.png

I recently recorded a podcast on General Cleburne and his emancipation proposal

Back