Mahone Mine, Petersburg, The two tunnel entrances.

Stock

Private
I found this photo in the Library of Congress with no rights restrictions on publishing.
Mahone Mine Petersburg  .jpg
The view of the entrance to the adjoining tunnels

I think I'm missing something. Are these the tunnels that Burnside's men were digging or the two tunnels that were being dug on on the Confederate side as they had a pretty good idea of what was going on?

I have always considered Ambrose Burnside to have perpetual bad luck or poor planning. The soon to be dismissed from the army James Hewett Ledlie and I'd add Edward Ferrero, a know, the drinking buddies? Just awful and truly dangerous human beings.

Thanks for posting this photo: I hadn't seen any contemporaneous photos of the tunnels before!

Here's the description on LoC: "Petersburg, Va. Entrance to mine in Fort Mahone, intended to undermine Fort Sedgwick."

https://www.loc.gov/item/2018666706/

So this was a Confederate tunnel if it was taken at Fort Mahone. A lot of photos were taken there right after Lee evacuated Petersburg.
Yes, thank you. I should have included the Title included with the photo for clarification.

I had never seen this photo before. The crater photo I was very familiar with as I had at worked Petersburg. The large tree near the mine entrance seen in many images of the entrance was still there until the 80's, when it fell.

Back