Magazines at the book store today.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I looked over the newer issues of Civil War related magazines. I though I might purchase one. I subscribe to the Civil War Monitor and have that magazine. The other magazines did not have many articles that interested me. I saw that Civil War monitor had a special issue out about Grant and Lee. What do others others think of the trend of the current direction of Civil War magazines?

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I don't have a bookstore. :cry:
Well I do not really have a "book store" my self. There are two new book stores and several used book stores in my area. We are down to just two large new book stores, but at one point we had 8 or 9 new book stores a few years back, but alas, some have fallen by the way side.

Rusk County Avengers

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
I used to buy Civil War Times, America's Civil War, and on occasion North and South but I can't say I buy very many anymore. I've never been able to get into the few issues I've seen of Civil War Monitor, and I stopped buying Civil War Times when I got two issues in a row were more focused on modern politics than the CW.

For me, my favorite now is Civil War Quarterly, with an eye out for older issues of anything before 2000.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
The returned North and South magazine now has the second issue out. The returned magazine is colorful, but I have not seen much in either issue that overly interests me. The cost of the "new" North and South magazine is a bit high.

I have thought of subscribing to Civil War Times, but already subscribe to three magazines and my wife to two magazines. A sixth magazine seems a bit over the top.

Eric Wittenberg

1st Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
I have the cover story in the next issue of America's Civil War. I can tell you that editor Chris Howland and his staff are great to work with. Chris has asked me to do several pieces for him on things that are very obscure, which tells me that he's looking for new material. The article in the next issue is on the August 2, 162 cavalry battle at Orange Court House, Virginia, which was one of the first victories for the Union cavalry. It's an interesting fight that has gotten almost no attention over the years. I give Chris credit for looking to run stories like that.

David H.

Private
I have the cover story in the next issue of America's Civil War. I can tell you that editor Chris Howland and his staff are great to work with. Chris has asked me to do several pieces for him on things that are very obscure, which tells me that he's looking for new material. The article in the next issue is on the August 2, 162 cavalry battle at Orange Court House, Virginia, which was one of the first victories for the Union cavalry. It's an interesting fight that has gotten almost no attention over the years. I give Chris credit for looking to run stories like that.
Not sure if I notice a trend in the current Civil War magazines. I go to Barnes and Noble about once a month and look at the articles - if there is one I want to read then I buy the magazine. I do agree that the new North and South is a little expensive.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
AAmeric's Civil War does have some interesting articles and it has colorful illistrations.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
What do others others think of the trend of the current direction of Civil War magazines?
I still consider the shuttering of the doors at Blue & Gray Magazine to be a bad omen. I bought a pile of back issues in anticipation of future battlefleld visits. So far,I've only been to 7-8 of those battlefields. That said,as an annual donor to the American Battlefiend Trust and The Battle Of Franklin Preservation Trust,I get issues of Hallowed Ground and Battlefield Dispatch, respectively. As an SCV member,I get Confederate Veteran. This past Father's Day,Civil War Magazine had an offer for a 1 year subscription which was too good to pass up so I didn't. I occasionally buy single issues of Civil War Navy if they are about topics of particular interest to me. Between those magazines and my inventory of unread books,there's no way I can read everything I get now. I'm sorta stocking up on reading materials for my retirement years which hopefully will begin in the next 3-4 years.