Macabre Sketch by Alfred Waud: "Here's a health to the next one that dies"

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Macabre Waud Sketch.JPG

"Heres a health to the next one that dies" by Alfred Rudolph Waud (ca. 1861-'65)

Soldiers toast each other around a table, as death, in the form of a skeleton leaning upon a scythe, waits outside the tent. You've probably seen some of Waud's battlefield sketches - usually of soldier life, action on the battlefield, and even a few of soldiers killed in battle. Although in the same style as other Waud sketches, this one is quite different in content. Perfect for today. Happy Halloween.

From the Library of Congress. Waud, Alfred R., Artist. Heres a Health to the Next One That Dies. https://www.loc.gov/item/2004660327/

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
That is an interesting sketch. It is not hard to understand it, just surprised that Waud actually drew it.

He'd probably seen way too much by the time this jolly tableau occurred to him. There's that photo of Waud sitting on a rock at Gettysburg? Poor guy buried a buddy en route there, then ' photographed ' the battle- always wondered what he was looking at that day. Has to have gotten to him.

Wonderful find lelliot, thank you!

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
That is an interesting sketch. It is not hard to understand it, just surprised that Waud actually drew it.
He'd probably seen way too much by the time this jolly tableau occurred to him. Has to have gotten to him.
Is that a large hourglass next to the skeleton? I just saw it. Wonder if I have missed other symbolic/metaphorical symbols in the sketch? Do you see any others?

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
View attachment 208973
"Heres a health to the next one that dies" by Alfred Rudolph Waud (ca. 1861-'65)

Soldiers toast each other around a table, as death, in the form of a skeleton leaning upon a scythe, waits outside the tent. You've probably seen some of Waud's battlefield sketches - usually of soldier life, action on the battlefield, and even a few of soldiers killed in battle. Although in the same style as other Waud sketches, this one is quite different in content. Perfect for today. Happy Halloween.

From the Library of Congress. Waud, Alfred R., Artist. Heres a Health to the Next One That Dies. https://www.loc.gov/item/2004660327/
This is a good find. Thanks for posting it.

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Perhaps it is my (mis) perception, but the only Soldier standing, drinking directly from the jug, appears to have a "skeletal" visage. Hinting that he is "marked for Death"?
Oh wow! I didnt notice that, but I think his face does indeed look rather skeletal! Thanks for pointing that out. What is he doing with his glass?
macabre waud snip.JPG

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
Oh wow! I didnt notice that, but I think his face does indeed look rather skeletal! Thanks for pointing that out. What is he doing with his glass?
View attachment 209124
He is steadying a whiskey jug on his shoulder to more easily pour his libation, or perhaps liquid courage. :unsure:

antique-whiskey-jug-old-distillery-whiskey-jug-stoneware-antique-whiskey-jugs-value.jpg

Attachments

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!