M1860 Field & Staff Officer's Sword?

Wraith_3

Private
I also don't have my dad's notes on this one, but I wanted to see if I had it ID'd correctly. I think it's a M1860 Field & Staff Officer's Sword. From the little I read the one book said most of these were probably presentation or hung in GAR hall and or were possibly post war. It also said if they had two rings it was probably post war, so let me know if that's true.

DSC03564.JPG

DSC03570.JPG

DSC03576.JPG

DSC03579.JPG

bobinwmass

Corporal
Its correct name is a Model 1860 Staff Officer's Sword. It is post-war, as shown by the double rings and eagle decorated reverse guard. Civil war versions had plain reverse guards, and plain drags and no embellishment on the reverse of the scabbard ring mounts.

bayonet

Corporal
I have a Warnock & Co 1850 Foot Officers Sword same maker of yours. It's a Company I find little information about other than it was in New York somewhere.

Glen_C

Corporal
Warnock was operating as a uniform and supplies retailer from 1897-1915 (my notes from 2012). I'll check in Bazelon's A DIRECTORY OF AMERICAN MILITARY GOODS tomorrow.

It is an a military version and figure it is a re-branded Ames sword

Cheers
GC

bayonet

Corporal
Warnock was operating as a uniform and supplies retailer from 1897-1915 (my notes from 2012). I'll check in Bazelon's A DIRECTORY OF AMERICAN MILITARY GOODS tomorrow.

It is an a military version and figure it is a re-branded Ames sword

Cheers
GC
actually Warnock was established in 1838 and went out of business in the late 1940s.

bobinwmass

Corporal
Looking at Thillmann's book to see if I could give you more info, looks like your sword would have been made after 1872 but before 1903. He says: "The later version of the Model of 1860 Staff sword with double rings, optional nickel plating and a decorated folding reverse guard in 1872 became the "Staff and Line Officers' Sword. " This sword was the U.S.Army regulation sword for all branches, except cavalry and artillery, until the introduction of the Model of 1902 Officers' Sword."