Edged Wpns M1840 Heavy Cavalry Saber

Thanks. It has been removed.

Hello and welcome to the CivilWarTalk from Southeast Missouri. A great looking saber. I saw today an 1840 Light Artillery Saber by Ames dated 1845 for sale on the U.S. Militaria Forum.

Good to know. What are the tell-tale signs?
With an original the tang is hammered flat against the pommel. When it is ground off to remove you have to add to the tang in order to get to come thru the pommel. In looking at yours it is rounded with a hump which is one of the tells. It done correctly it would be flat against the pommel but the patina will not match the rest of the iron on the sword.
1612929829541.png

Thank you all for the kind comments and warm welcome! The leather does seem amazingly well preserved for being that old suggesting a possible rewrap at some point, But it is very well done and I wonder if these were ever arsenal refurbished. I would think the handle and leather would be the most susceptible to wear and tear. I would like to know how that was done.
I have one like that ,does not have any markings. I'll look again

I have one like that ,does not have any markings. I'll look again
Some markings were stamped VERY shallowly and may well have worn off by now, leaving little or no trace; you may have to look carefully. Foreign imports were sometimes not marked at all!

Back