M1840 Calvary Sabre guard customized by blacksmith?

aahunt03

Cadet
My mother found this about 30 years ago when I was a kid. The very tip where it connects to the pommel was just barely sticking up out of the mud on a river bank in Lake Jackson, Texas. It was a very small river and this particular location was said to be a ferry crossing used during the Civil War. Two things have been a mystery to me all these years:
1. I have found no reference or information to Civil War activities or troop movements in Lake Jackson, Texas.
2. The outer "leaf" has been modified and turned upward and inboard, and the tip where the blade would go has been turned upward a significant amount.

The only thing I can come up with regarding the modification of this guard is that the owner wanted to personalize it and went to the blacksmith and had him make these modifications. Maybe he wanted to make it his own and customize it to make it something special.

Any thoughts or info would help solve my 30 year mystery.

Sword handle 3.jpg

Sword handle 2.jpg

sword handle 1.jpg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. We have had several discussion on the cavalryman's bend. As far as its location I can't help. Maybe some of our Texas member's can give some incite to the location it was found.

Welcome to CWT from the Smoky Mountain side of North Carolina. Just jump right in and enjoy. Sorry but I have no clue. But just wait for a little while and someone will be along to answer your questions.

Or it could have been run over a few times. It looks mangled and no longer in usable/functional shape to me. Sorry, but I doubt that the shape it ended up in was deliberate. Things get bent, it just happens. As they say, "form follows function", if something is not in functional shape, then it likely wasn't deliberate.

Back