Médaille De Sainte Héléne

20190809_165345.jpg

Not necessarily about the War of Rights, but this is a rare find that I bought from an antiquity store in North Carolina. Given by Emperor Napoleon III to members of service to his grandfather, the venerable Napoleon Bonaparte. It is only the certificate and the wreaths are missing key figures. Any thoughts?

I've got one of the medals -- the certificates are very rare.
1565384977638.png
Napoleon's will provided that the medals to be given to every surviving veteran of the Grand Army from 1792 to 1815, "his companions in glory." He left the money to make the medals, but the royalist French government squandered it away. It was not until 1857 that Napoleon III fulfilled the final wish of his great-uncle Napoleon I.

Interestingly, the last Grand Armee veteran died in Russia about 1892. He was a young drummer-boy when he was wounded during the French retreat from Moscow. He was nursed back to health by a Byelorussian family, and wound up marrying their daughter, and staying. He got his medal in the 1880s, one of the last given out.

Last edited:
I've got one of the medals -- the certificates are very rare.
Napoleon's will provided that the medals to be given to every surviving veteran of the Grand Army from 1792 to 1815, "his companions in glory." He left the money to make the medals, but the royalist French government squandered it. It was not until 1857 that Napoleon III fulfilled the final wish of his great-uncle Napoleon I.

Interestingly, the last Grand Armee veteran died in Russia about 1892. He was a young drummer-boy when he was wounded during the French retreat from Moscow. He was nursed back to health by a Byelorussian family, and wound up marrying their daughter, and staying. He got his medal in the 1880s, one of the last given out.
Thanks for the insight! Do you, by chance, know where I can find an original medal for purchase? Or how I can repair the wreaths? It still needs the Imperial Eagle and "N" for the middle.

Thanks for the insight! Do you, by chance, know where I can find an original medal for purchase? Or how I can repair the wreaths? It still needs the Imperial Eagle and "N" for the middle.
There are several on eBay for $120 to $250 (typical price range for the smallest of the 3 sizes issued). Also what looks like a pretty good reproduction for $15.95.

I'm afraid I have no ideas concerning your other question. I don't believe the certificate was originally issued in that holder. In good condition, btw, the certificate is worth a good deal more than the medal -- they're that rare.

What is the name & other info on the certificate?

Last edited:
I cannot read too much, but here is the name (in the middle in a slightly red hue):
20190809_192134.jpg

Here is where the seal was imprinted but I am guessing removed:
20190809_192051.jpg

Here are just a few more zoom ins on some parts:
20190809_192038.jpg

20190809_192045.jpg

Thanks to both of you for the photos and information. I was not aware of that medal

Back