Muzzleldrs Lysander double rifle

UncleBourbon

Private
Earlier this year in January I spotted this rifle at the West Point Museum (pictured is a blurry photo I got of it).
It seriously piqued my interest, but I wasn't able to find anything on it until Ian of Forgotten Weapons made a video for it

In the video he stated it was used by the Michigan 16th Infantry at the Battle of Peebles's farm, and that the 16th received it poorly.

While this is really cool information and I wanted to share it in general, I was also wondering if there were any written accounts of Michigan soldiers on the rifle, if there were any photographs of soldiers holding the rifle, and if it's at all possible a few specimens could've gotten into Confederate hands after the battle.

Also general discussion of superimposed charge rifles.

Lysander Double Rifle.png

Battle of Peebless Farm.jpg

Interesting weapon as far as the Michigan connection lets see if @major bill can answer that one as he is our resident Michigan guru.

I purchased the revised edition of the book. Are we talking about the Lindsay two-hammered double-barreled rifle? This weapon has a clue entires but no Lysander rifle is in the index.

Page 276-277. " it was likely during this break in the fighting that soldiers of the 16th Michigan who were carrying the unusual two-hammered, two-barreled Lindsay rifle, gave to some if not all of them, ditched this complicated and undependable weapon. Ellis Spear., who had declined to take the rifles for the 29th Maine, later wrote that [Welth's men threw all of them away & replaced them from arma left by the killed and wounded."

This passage has a foot note if you need it.

Page 276-277. " it was likely during this break in the fighting that soldiers of the 16th Michigan who were carrying the unusual two-hammered, two-barreled Lindsay rifle, gave to some if not all of them, ditched this complicated and undependable weapon. Ellis Spear., who had declined to take the rifles for the 29th Maine, later wrote that [Welth's men threw all of them away & replaced them from arma left by the killed and wounded."

This passage has a foot note if you need it.

Very interesting! Thank you for your research. I would appreciate the foot note, if it isn't too much.

Back