Lumsden's Battery, Battle of Kennesaw Mtn 1864

To3T@G1979

Cadet
Anyone have any info that may help me find details about my GG Grandfather? Pvt Isiac David Mason, and I know he was there for sure.... I heard thru my Uncle he lead the battery for a while towards the end, after things got ugly, and commanders were were either killed or retreated.....

According to Fold3:

Enlisted on 2/11/1863 in Shelby Co., Alabama.

"Absent sick in Hospital" 7/21/1863

Returned to command 10/1863

POW on 5/16/1865 in Marion, Alabama

Not much to go on but I would assume he was with the command from right after Chickamauga, through the Atlanta Campaign, Hood's Tennessee Campaign, then down to Spanish Fort where they surrendered.

The 2nd Alabama Artillery Battalion, Companies “A”-”F”, was formed at Mobile in January 1862, with five companies later reduced to three. It was attached to the Department of the Gulf, and after January, 1864, the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. The unit was stationed at or near Mobile throughout the war and participated in the conflicts at Forts Gaines and Morgan, Spanish Fort, and Fort Blakely. With 64 officers and men, it surrendered on 4 May 1865.

This company was organized at Tuscaloosa on 29 November 1861 and reported for duty at Mobile,125 strong. The battery was recruited from Fayette, Pickens, and Tuscaloosa counties. Stationed at Fort Gaines until, after Shiloh, the battery relieved Charles P. Gage’s at Tupelo, and were given six guns. The battery skirmished at Farmington, and in the Kentucky campaign fought at Perryville with small loss. At Chickamauga, there were several casualties, and the battery lost a gun. Its pieces moved down the road from Dalton to Atlanta, losing 5 k and 25 w in casualties. The battery’s loss was small around Atlanta; but having marched with the army into Tennessee, it was overwhelmed at Nashville, losing its guns, six men k, and 22 captured. Placed in Spanish Fort, they were under fire for two weeks, with some loss. Moving up toward Marion Station, Mississippi, the battery was surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana, at Citronelle, Alabama, on 4 May 1865.

Officers:

LUMSDEN, Charles L., Capt.
VAUGHN, George W., Sr. 1st Lt.
HURST, William E., 2nd Lt., 1st Lt.
CRIBBS, Harvey H., Jr. 2nd Lt., 1st Lt.
HARGROVE, Ebenezer H., Sr. 2nd Lt., 1st Lt.
HARGROVE, Andrew Coleman, 2nd Lt.
CALDWELL, John A., 2nd Lt.
TARRANT, Edward, Jr. 2nd Lt., 2nd Lt.
SKYES, Joseph Porter, Cadet, CSA
JARRETT, A. L., Asst Surgeon
COULSON, P. D., Asst Surgeon
McMICHAEL, R. A., Acting Asst Surgeon
CAMPBELL, J. Payne, Acting Surgeon

LITTLE, George, 1st Sgt., Orderly Sgt.
CALDWELL, John A., Sgt., 1st Piece
HAIRSTON, Sam, Sgt., 3rd Piece
HARGROVE, Andrew Coleman, Sgt., 5th Piece
HESTER, Wiley G. W., Sgt., 2nd Piece
MARTIN, Horace Walpole, Sgt., 4th Piece
MILLER, James L., Sgt., 6th Piece
SNOW, John, Quartermaster Sgt.

Wow... Im speachless Gentlemen and thanks for the welcome... Words can not express my gratitude. I too am a Georgia boy, and have been in Colorado sice March for work, til next week when I come home to Mcdonough. my Georgia drivers licence expired last week on my 35th bday :smile: so my wife will be driving to her shegrin. I have many kin who fought in the Great War, and im proud,privledged and honored to say that all were on the side of the South(long live the CSA!). My GGG Grandpa Harrison W "Buck" Redfearn was 2nd Missippi Infantry as I recall, and at Shiloh. My Grandfather told me "Buck" would not go with family when they visited the battlefield because of his memorys, and that the dead were soo many a man could run across a partiular pond beraly getting his feet wet cause of the bodys below... Quite a sight to witness for a young man no doubt. My last name is Redfearn, and I have Bucks discharge papers from the Yankee POW camp.

According to Fold3:

Enlisted on 2/11/1863 in Shelby Co., Alabama.

"Absent sick in Hospital" 7/21/1863

Returned to command 10/1863

POW on 5/16/1865 in Marion, Alabama

Not much to go on but I would assume he was with the command from right after Chickamauga, through the Atlanta Campaign, Hood's Tennessee Campaign, then down to Spanish Fort where they surrendered.
Yes sir this is correct, and Shelby County is where many of my family are from and live still today.... Thank you Brother for that info..... Got me a lil misty eyed....

The Avitar I chose here for my self is not one picked at random, this is my GG Grandfather(in uniform) Pvt Isiac David Mason and family, and the little boy on his knee with the cute(says my wife) lil elf ears, is my Great Grandfather Isiac Pierce Mason of Stockton AL.

Welcome aboard my friend from a neighbor, it's good to have you with us and have a safe trip home.

I have read the book "A History of Lumsden's Battery". It is not a great read but does contain some interesting bits on camp life and other anecdotes. I have heard a few stories from my uncles about Isaac Mason. He was shot in the buttocks and seemed to be embarrassed by it. It's not uncommon for a cannoneer to turn his back on the enemy while loading a gun. I also heard a story that at Spanish Fort he held a rifle for the first time in the war. He remarked on how heavy it was. Lumsdens Battery lost their guns at Nashville at rebout #4 so it is quite possible they gave him a rifle at the battle for Spanish Fort. I have a copy of a pay receipt he received at "a camp near Columbus Miss." It is dated Oct 14 1865. It was signed by John Caldwell. A 2nd lieutenant. The pay was $14.

His eyes were gray, hair light, complexion fair and he was 5' 9" tall. I am trying to post the receipt but my work computer is blocking me. I will post the receipt on a new thread when I get home.

Another welcome from GA. Love hearing these stories of folk who fought in this area. Especially when they survived to live on to old age.

Back