Nashville Lumsden's Alabama Battery at Nashville

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
I thought this account of Lumsden's Alabama Battery in the battle of Nashville was a good one, so here it is on the anniversary of the battle, Dec. 15-16, 1864. Maybe a day late as this recounts events on the first day, but here it is anyway. From Confederate Veteran, Vol. 12, p. 484-485.

Lumsden's Battery 1.jpg

Lumsden's Battery 2.jpg

Lumsden's Battery 3.jpg

Lumsden's Battery 4.jpg

Last edited:

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
James_Robert_Maxwell_CSA.jpg

Sgt. James R. Maxwell, author of the article and historian of Lumden's Battery. He had been a military cadet at the University of Alabama and served as drill master and private in the 34th Alabama Infantry before transferring to Lumsden's Battery in 1863.

James R. Maxwell, with George Little, also authored A History of Lumsden's Battery, C.S.A., which can be read online here: https://archive.org/stream/lumsdenbattery00littrich#page/n5/mode/2up

Charles-L.-Lumsden-was-the-captain-of-Lumsdens-Battery-C.-S.-A.1834-1867-Q5207-.jpg

Captain Charles L. Lumsden

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
Here's another account of a battery at Nashville - Douglas' Texas Battery, which had also seen some hard service in the AoT. They were also the only Texas battery to serve east of the Mississippi.

Confederate Veteran, Vol. 12, p. 531-532.

Douglas' Texas Battery 1.jpg

Douglas' Texas Battery 2.jpg

DonnieV

Cadet
Here's another account of a battery at Nashville - Douglas' Texas Battery, which had also seen some hard service in the AoT. They were also the only Texas battery to serve east of the Mississippi.

Confederate Veteran, Vol. 12, p. 531-532.

View attachment 117305
View attachment 117306
I have been on the very ground where the Douglas battery made their stand (Franklin road near Battery lane and Harding place) I used to metal detect there years ago and found a lot of relics on that hill. I recovered 6 cannon balls there that were buried by the retreating Confederates (they were in the same hole about a foot or two deep).