Lt. Owen Jones Pate 3rd & 67th North Carolina Inf. Help

Chris Carroll

Private
STILL LOOKING FOR MY GREAT UNCLE IF YOU KNOW HIS WHEREABOUTS CONTACT CHRIS CARROLL [email protected] 2529164970. 2nd Lt Owens Jones Pate 3rd & 67th North Carolina Regiment. This is a color image I had sent Greg Mast in 1994. Thanks Greg.

HELP ME FIND MY FAMILY, HE’S OUT THERE: LT. OWEN JONES “JAKE’ PATE 3RD NCST & 67TH NCST. HELP BRING MY FAMILY HOME PLEASE……………
This week visited my old friend William D Gorges, while we were looking through his image gallery, up popped a familiar 6th plate ambrotype of a Confederate 2nd Lt. I think description said 2nd Lt., No ID. I found this image at my great grandmothers house Nov. 21, 1993, my oldest daughter was 10 days old, I remember saying she brought me good luck.... With this ambro from the same box was a creased 1900’s cabinet card taken in Florida of O J Pate. I tentatively ID’ed the Ambro as Owen J. Pate, served as a Sgt. 3rd North Carolina, wounded at Antietam, later promoted to 3rd (some records say 2nd) Lt. 67th NCST. At that time, I couldn’t prove it was him, nor could I find a rhyme to the reason this Pate man would be in this box, no Pate’s in family. Now mind you, I’ve been a collector since age of 10, and always wanted something from my family, but never found anything. Didn’t mean much, so I let it go to Will around 1996-99.
Well the other day in Will’s shop when I saw the gallery image, it haunted me, who it this guy? Back in the 90’s the research skills were limited to the library and microfilm at the state archives, which didn’t help much, so I decided to revisit this research 20 or so years too late. I FOUND HIM!!!!!!! He is my 3rd Great Uncle, HE”S FAMILY……. I let the only family ACW artifact slip through my hands. In my research I found that he was wounded at Antietam left neck/face spherical ball, and sure as hell, you flip that reverse negative ambro and he has a fresh wound scar left side lower face. It’s him, the wound was only a couple of months old when he was promoted 2nd LT. in January 1863. It’s Lt. Owen J. Pate, MY 3rd Great Uncle.
Please help, please help me find it, PLEASE. I just want to bring him back home. Ironic, my great grandmother’s home that it was found in, was destroyed in the great flood of 99. I don’t want as a collector, I want cause he’s family. Thanks in advance, please help me make this happen.

Lt. OJ Pate.jpg

Chris:

Your quest won't be an easy one. Difficult, but not impossible. Networking will be a big part of this.

Now the million dollar question, how much are you willing to pay to get the image back? The person who owns it might be a nice person or it may be all about the money.

Here are a few suggestions:

--Place a 'Want Ad' in Military Images Magazine:

http://militaryimagesmagazine.com

--Contact the leading Confederate Militaria and Civil War Photograph dealers.

--Place postings on Civil War collectors, reenacting and history websites. Don't forget social media such as Facebook.

Good luck and I will pass the word to everyone I know.

Legion Para, I don't have an unlimited budget, but fully expect to pay retail. I have this week posted in my ACW collector groups which contains many dealers, and contacted Rod @ MI, and he posted on the MI Facebook page. Great idea on contacting image dealers, thanks for your response, last this image was seen was the late 1990's to my knowledge.

The National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg (Pennsylvania) and the Texas Civil War Museum in Fort Worth (Texas) should also be contacted to see if they acquired this image.

The Texas Civil War Museum acquired the William Turner Photograph Collection. Bill was well known for his Confederate image collection.

sign.jpg

100EEB22504726B5C3391E7226E4B6E7.jpg

Last edited:
Back