Lt. Col Judson Kilpatrick gets Butlers help

General Butler

First Sergeant
Forgot about this one.
Guess Kill Cavalry wasnt off the ground in the fall of 62.
Judson was a foot officer under Butler during that stellar battle Big Bethel. ( Right idea on paper, too complex especially for green troops).
Butler tells Judson that he can share this ltr with the president and that Ben has no doubt as to Judsons ability and fitness to fill any station to which he may aspire
Cool letter dated October 2nd 1862 from New Orleans
GO BIG BEN!
The dust on it makes it look more authentic dont ya think?

158999637167366489854310507410.jpg

15899964154784492288540689426107.jpg

Butler and Kilpatrick! What a pair of fine soldiers.
Regards
David

Here's where it's difficult and I don't mean to be the crank in the thread, honest. Did Butler maintain his support of Kilpatrick? I've come across a few defenses of the guy but remain unconvinced. One of the least attractive characters in a war inclusive of Dan Sickles.

Does dust add to value, too? Another week and our entire house can go be valued at Christies.

I have no special interests but dislike Kilpatrick for Farnsworth and the Dahlgren Affair when he sped on down to Bermuda Hundred to shelter inside Butler's lines. He was a poor military leader.
I get a chuckle out of the wording of Genral Order 28 with the line of "plying her avocation" but disliked his anti-Semitism policy and he was a poor military leader in battle.
Regards
David

I have no special interests but dislike Kilpatrick for Farnsworth and the Dahlgren Affair when he sped on down to Bermuda Hundred to shelter inside Butler's lines. He was a poor military leader.
I get a chuckle out of the wording of Genral Order 28 with the line of "plying her avocation" but disliked his anti-Semitism policy and he was a poor military leader in battle.
Regards
David
Butler was indeed a military leader out of his element in battle. He understood the principals but could affect the outcome. Then with grotesque infighting from west point "leaders" there was no way the Army of the James would do anything but annoy the Rebs. Butler did make sure his men were fed clothes paid and were not at fault for failure.
Anti semitism was wide ranging at the time through both Grant and Sherman. I have not read a study on anti semitism eith the army at the time but Butler was by no means out of his element in that regard.

No Butler was not alone then as Grant issued General Orders #11. Unfortunately, anti-Semitism is still with us today in America of all places.
Regards
David

No Butler was not alone then as Grant issued General Orders #11. Unfortunately, anti-Semitism is still with us today in America of all places.
Regards
David
We react poorly to things we dont understand and yet make little effort to understand.
But that sir is a 2 way street
Regards
Joe

Back