Lt.Col.Chamberlain's speech.

Speaking of the movie, am I the only one who thought that Jeff Daniels was rooked not even being nominated for best actor, and C. Thomas Howell for supporting actor? (Indeed, I was flabbergasted to realize many years after Gettysburg that Howell had been the same actor who had appeared as a teen in that horrible flick, Red Dawn. That made me realize just what a talented actor he is! Like Daniels, the Texan Howell puts on a superb Maine accent throughout his performance!) Both Daniels and Howell were the very epitome of their characters, which is the hallmark of great actors--the chameleon-like manner of reinventing themselves for each character that they portray. The way Hollywood snubbed this epic production--and I am no Ted Turner fan!--was typical and disgraceful!

Don

Many of Chamberlain's lines from both Gettysburg and Gods and Generals (especially the "preachy" ones), were taken more or less directly from Chamberlain's writings. He was a highly educated, eloquent wordsmith, in the Romantic style of his day, and produced many elegant "sound bites" that Michael Shaara and, later, the films' screenwriters liberally mined for dialog. He actually said (or at least wrote) much of it, but not at the time and place it occurs in the movies.

PS: the Pharsalia translation was very possibly Chamberlain's own ... he was more or less fluent in Latin (as well as ancient Greek, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Arabic, Hebrew, and Syriac!!!)

Many of Chamberlain's lines from both Gettysburg and Gods and Generals (especially the "preachy" ones), were taken more or less directly from Chamberlain's writings. He was a highly educated, eloquent wordsmith, in the Romantic style of his day, and produced many elegant "sound bites" that Michael Shaara and, later, the films' screenwriters liberally mined for dialog. He actually said (or at least wrote) much of it, but not at the time and place it occurs in the movies.

PS: the Pharsalia translation was very possibly Chamberlain's own ... he was more or less fluent in Latin (as well as ancient Greek, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Arabic, Hebrew, and Syriac!!!)
That makes sense about his own translation!

That list of languages he knew is insane (in a good way!). He was definitely a well-educated man.

Back