Lt. Col. Abner H. McCormick 2nd Florida Cav.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Dec 31, 2010
Kingsport, Tennessee

I'm looking to get detailed information about this officer in the 2nd Florida Cavalry CSA. Looking for his bio and detailed Civil War information.
Report of Lieut. Col. A. H. McCormick, Second
Florida Cavalry.

Camp Jackson, Fla., August 3, 1864.
CAPT.: In reply to your communication of the 22d ultimo, calling
for a "full and accurate report of everything connected with the late raid
of the enemy in the direction of Callahan," &c., I have the honor to
submit the following:

On July 13, scouts from Tucknett's Point reported that six vessels had
arrived at Jacksonville the day before, but owing to the distance they
could not ascertain whether they were loaded or not. At daylight on the
same day the enemy advanced upon our pickets on Cedar Creek, at the
railroad, but made no further demonstration in that direction. A scout
from Broward's Neck reported that Turner and Houston (scouts), of
Second Florida Cavalry, had been captured by the Tysons (tories). We
afterward found they had been brutally murdered.

On the 14th, it was ascertained the quite a force of cavalry had landed
in Broward's Neck and advanced as far as Neill Turner's. The exact
number was not known. Lieut. Cone, who was then at
Higginbotham's with a detachment of 25 men, and who was promptly
advised of their advance, also reported them to be in considerable force.
He remained at Higginbotham's watching their movements until early
next morning (15th), when Capt. McElvey, of the Fifth Florida
Cavalry Battalion, joined him with 30 additional men. Capt. McElvey
now moved down to Turner's to ascertain their strength and movements.
He found about 40 of their cavalry, who retreated rapidly before him.
He pursued them until he learned that a body of infantry had landed up
Trout Creek and was marching to his rear. He then fell back to Hall's
Branch, and skirmished with them until he was flanked by the infantry.
He withdraw then to Little Trout Creek and again engaged them. Here
he was again flanked. He then fell back to Big Trout Creek (t
Higginbotham's), and here he skirmished with them until he was almost

He retired then down the road leading off direct to Baldwin, covering
all the approaches with his pickets. The enemy now rested at
Higginbotham's and put out infantry pickets, while Capt. McElvey
camped near Mrs. Green's, on the Baldwin road. The enemy now being
in the rear of our pickets on the line of Cedar Creek, Maj. G. W.
Scott, who commanded at Camp Milton, called them in and withdrew
with his whole command to the junction of the roads leading from
Higginbotham's and Camp Milton to Baldwin, about 2 miles from

During the skirmishing referred to the enemy were re-enforced with 80
cavalry and with two pieces of artillery. The infantry force was
composed entirely of negroes and was not less than 600. Their entire
cavalry force was about 125. The information as to their numbers was
derived partly from citizens, but principally from our own officers.
Capt.'s McElvey and Gwynn and Lieut. Cone had an opportunity
of seeing their column pass though the roads and had an open and
distinct view of it. Mr. Higginbotham had them around his horse and
conversed with Gen. Birney, who commanded in person. He gives
the same account of their forces. Other citizens estimated their infantry
at 1,000. The position they held at Higginbotham's, across Big Trout
Creek, was a very strong one, and rendered more so by their destruction
of the bridge and felling timber. The above estimate of their force is
supported by the facts that it was known that they had recently
re-enforced at Jacksonville, and that the Charles Houghton and Mary
Benton had taken load of troops down the river early that morning
without making and change in the number of tents at Jacksonville, which
left it to be inferred that the expedition was to be a short one.

Our left at Camp Milton being now turned, it was deemed best to
concentrate our small force around Baldwin for its defense, leaving
Capt. McElvey with 55 men near Higginbotham's to watch their

On the morning of the 16th, 50 mounted men were sent down under
Capt. Gwynn to relieve Capt. McElvey's command, which had been
without forage and rations for more than twenty-four hours. Acting
under instructions from Maj. Scott, Capt. McElvey and Gwynn
(before the former withdrew his command) made a joint reconnaissance
for the purpose of attacking the enemy should they find he was not too
strongly posted. They son ascertained that it was impossible to dislodge
him, even with our whole force. The enemy, however, showed no signs
of advancing during the day, but held their position firmly.

On the morning of the 17th, Capt. Simmons, Second Florida Cavalry,
was sent down with 50 men to relieve Capt. Gwynn's command.
During the day, while our cavalry was confronting them at this point,
their cavalry, under Maj. Fox, dashed up the north end of King's road
(which they now controlled) to Callahan and burnt tow flat-cars loaded
with railroad iron, and Mr. Jones' house, and took off his horses. On
this raid they arrested Joseph Hagans and Washington Broward
(citizens), and carried off Mr. Geiger's negroes, and burn the house of
Joel Wingate (a scout). They also took the horses of Elijah
Higginbotham. About 100 negro troops accompanies this raiding party
as far as Thomas' Swamp. These were in addition to the 600 at
Higginbotham's. Reliable citizens whom they visited on the route to
Callahan state that they had 125
cavalry and 100 infantry (negroes). All the damage done on this raid
was accomplished in one day, the distance being very short from the
line of the road to Broward's Neck to Callahan.

On the night of this day (the 17th), Capt. Dunham arrived at Baldwin
with 84 effective men. I also received instructions from you to attack the
enemy next morning at daybreak with my whole force, if I did not
consider them too strong, and if so, t send for Rou's command and act
on the defensive. I was satisfied they were too strong for me, and
especially in the position they occupied. I accordingly telegraphed for
Rou's command, and determine to attack the enemy as soon as it
arrived. Two trestles about 12 miles from Baldwin having been burned
during that night, the train from Gainesville could not come through,
and the companies of reserves did not reach me till 9 a. m. next day
(the 18th).

Meanwhile I had sent Maj. Scott with his entire effective cavalry
(about 180 in the saddle) to feel the strength of the enemy, and to
ascertain if there had been any change in his position. He found upon
arriving at Higginbotham's that the enemy had retired in the direction
of Yellow Bluff. He was delayed some time in crossing Trout Creek.
The bridge being burned he was compelled to cross at a ford much
higher up. He did not come up with the enemy, they having taken to
their boats. He reports that from the appearance of their camps their
force must have been larger than had been reported. He sent out scouts,
who informed him that the raiding party had also withdrawn toward
Yellow Bluff. Maj. Scott then returned with his command, and on the
19th reoccupied Camp Milton and re-established his vedettes on the line
of Cedar Creek.

There was nothing lost at Camp Milton or Baldwin, either in
quartermaster, commissary, or ordnance stores.

I deem it due to Capt.'s McElvey and Gwynn and Lieut. Cone,
who were sent to watch the enemy (to check them if possible), to say
that I consider their statements entirely reliable. They are cool,
intelligent, and discreet officers, and gentlemen of unquestioned

I have the honor to be, captain, your obedient servant,

Lieut.-Col., Cmdg.

Capt. W. G. BARTH,
Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 35. Part I, Reports and Correspondence. Serial No. 65.]


Report of Lieut. Col. A. H. McCormick, Second Florida Cavalry.

Camp Jackson, Fla., August 15, 1864.

CAPT.: I have the honor to submit the following report of the
evacuation of Camp Milton and Baldwin and the operation of the troops
of this command in relation thereto:

On July 23, Maj. G. W. Scott, commanding outpost, reported that
five transports loaded with troops had gone up the Saint John's River
and were supposed to be landing them at the mouth of Black Creek. I
immediately ordered him to send a scout in that direction to ascertain
their strength and movements, which was promptly done. We soon
learned, however, from other sources that a large body of the enemy
were in the neighborhood of Middleburg, and were probably making
their way to Starke or Trail Ridge, on the Florida Railroad. Maj. Scott
was then directed to move with his whole cavalry force, leaving his
pickets on the line of Cedar Creek and a guard at Camp Milton, to meet
the enemy and check his progress. Accordingly, on the night of the 23d
Maj. Scott with 98 men moved down near Middleburg, and on the next
day (24th) met and repulsed from 300 to 500 of their infantry, driving
them across Black Creek. He then fell back about 5 miles to a creek in
his rear, for the purpose of obtaining a more advantageous position and
of guarding other approaches, and there camped for the night.

Early next morning he was preparing to move against them again when
their infantry attacked his pickets. He sent forward skirmishers
and drew them on, while he withdrew his main force to the
west side of the creek to make a stand there. The enemy's cavalry
dashed upon our skirmishers so suddenly and rapidly that they succeeded
in capturing 1 man and driving the rest back. He learned upon crossing
the creek referred to that a body of cavalry (about 80 in number) has
passed around to his rear during the night by a road he was not advised
of, and were making their way to Baldwin or some point on the Florida
Railroad, and fearing, from the exposed condition of Baldwin, that they
would capture it, he moved his command with the utmost dispatch to
that place. It was son ascertained, though, that they had crossed the
Florida Railroad at Trail Ridge, and, tearing up about 30 feet of the
track, had passed in the direction of the Saint Mary's trestle.

We soon received information that they had burned the trestle and
captured Lieut. Packard and 4 men of the guard on duty at that
place. I had already ordered Capt. McElvey, of the Fifth Florida
Cavalry Battalion, who was left in command at Camp Milton, to
withdraw his pickets from Cedar Creek and fall back to Baldwin. Had
also dispatched a train for Capt. Spencer's company of reserves and
the working party on the Florida Railroad, engaged in taking up the iron
near Callahan.

I now determined to defend Baldwin, notwithstanding communication
with Lake City was broken, for, though our supplies were only for
twenty-four hours, we had possession of an engine and train, and
provisions could have been transported to us from the Saint Mary's
trestle if carried to the trestle on this side. At that time I supposed that
the force in our rear was not more than 80 men, and that they had
probably retired after burning the trestle. Meanwhile Capt. Cone and
Lieut. Reddick, in command of separate detachments, had been sent
to the rear for the purpose of getting fuller information. They left about
3 p. m. After night it was discovered that tow other trestles between the
Saint Mary's and Baldwin were also on fire, and soon the guard at those
points reported that the enemy had fired them. It was then apparent that
the force had not retired from our rear, and also that our source of
supplies was effectually destroyed, even should we succeeded in driving
them back.

Up to 2 a. m. on Tuesday, the 26th, I could hear nothing from Capt.
Cone or Lieut. Reddick, which led to the belief that they were
either captured or cut off by a larger force than at first reported, which
latter proved to be true. My force at Baldwin consisted of 216 cavalry,
under Maj. Scott; Capt. Spencer's company of reserves (about 40
for duty), and Capt. Villepigue's battery of four guns. At the hour
referred to last I called a council of officers, and we determined to
evacuate Baldwin and move by way of Brandy Branch and Lang's
Ferry, on the Bit Saint Mary's, to this position, on the west side of the
south prong of that river.

The whole command moved from Baldwin at 3 a. m. on 26th, and
crossed Brandy Branch about 6 a. m. Here our pickets reported that the
enemy's cavalry were in pursuit. The command was immediately put in
position to receive them, and soon about 100 cavalry made their
appearance; but after 5 or 6 shots from Capt. Villepigue's battery and
a few rounds from our skirmishers they retired. We then crossed the
Saint Mary's at Lang's Ferry, and on Thursday, the 28th, the command
arrived and took position at this place.

I have since learned from citizens that on Monday night (25th) three
regiments of negroes, one of whites, one of cavalry, and four pieces of
artillery reached Darby's Still, on the railroad, 6 miles west of Baldwin.

I have to report the following loss in prisoners: Lieut. D. M.
Packard, Second Florida Cavalry, and 3 men on guard at Saint Mary's
trestle; Assistant Surgeon Wilson and Sergeant Carrol, Capt.
Villepigue's company, and Private Pendarvis, Company K, Second
Florida Cavalry (taken while attempting to go into Baldwin after its
evacuation); Sergeant Denham, Fifth Cavalry Battalion, and 2 men, on
scout in direction of Trail Ridge; Private J. E. Purdom, Company B,
Second Florida Cavalry, on a scout; Private Roche, Company G,
Second Florida Cavalry, wounded and captured in action at Black
Creek-making a loss of 2 officers and 10 men.

In inclose reports* which show all the losses in quartermaster,
commissary, ordnance, or other public stores.

I have the honor to be, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieut.-Col., Cmdg.

Capt. W. H. BARTH,
Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 35. Part I, Reports and Correspondence. Serial No. 65.]


Report of Lieut. Col. A. H. McCormick, Second
Florida Cavalry.

Darby's Station, East Fla., August 25, 1864.
CAPT.: I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt this day of your
communication of 22d instant, requiring a report of my recent
expedition against the enemy in the neighborhood of Starke and Waldo.

On Monday, 15th instant, Lieut.-Col. Scott, commanding
outpost, reported that the enemy's cavalry had crossed the railroad at
Darby's in a force supposed to be about 100 strong, with one piece of
artillery, and was moving to my right. He was at once ordered to put
every available man in the saddle. I also ordered one howitzer from
Capt. Abell's battery and sent them, under command of Capt. Rou,
of Second Florida Cavalry, in pursuit. Capt. Rou was ordered to
ascertain the direction they were going and more definitely their
numbers, and if necessary move parallel with them until he could form
a junction with Capt. Dickison's command, then supposed to be at
Starke or Waldo.

On the next day a flag of truce was sent by the brigadier-general
commanding to the enemy's lines, Maj. Goldthwaite, assistant
adjutant-general, bearing it, who, upon arriving at Baldwin, 12 miles
from Camp Jackson, at 3 p. m., found the place evacuated and burned,
and that the enemy had apparently gone in a southerly direction. Scouts
were immediately put upon their trail and the command ordered to be
ready to move.

The reports from these scouts, received a little after daylight next
morning, showed that the enemy were moving in the direction of Starke.
I immediately started the command, consisting of about 480 muskets and
2 Napoleons, in pursuit. Kept scouts on the trail as closely as possible
and myself informed of their movements. The first day's march brought
me at 9 p. m. within 12 miles of Starke, where I learned at 11.30 p. m.
that the enemy's infantry, supposed to be about 1,000 strong, with a
small force of cavalry and some artillery and baggage wagons, were at
3 p. m., at Big Alligator crossing, on Black Creek and Newnansville
road, 15 miles from me, and were moving up that road.

At 3 a. m., I again started on the most direct route to Waldo, hoping by
making a forced march to intercept them if they continued up the
Newnansville road, or reach Waldo in time to join Capt.'s Rou and
Dickison, should the enemy leave the Newnansville road and turn
toward Waldo.

At 11.30 a. m., I halted to let the men rest, and while waiting one of
my scouts returned and informed me that it was reported that Capt.
Dickison had met and defeated the cavalry at Gainesville. I now
determined to push with all possible dispatch by the nearest route to
where I expected to find the enemy's infantry, and notwithstanding the
men (many of them unaccustomed to marching) were tired and footsore,
they moved cheerfully as directed. We had not marched more than a
mile or two when a courier from Col. Earle, aide-de-camp to
Governor Milton, arrived with a dispatch stating that the enemy with a
force of 2,000 infantry were within 10 miles of Waldo and coming on.
I immediately changed direction, hoping to reach Waldo and make a
junction with the forces which I still presumed were there, and it was
not until I was within 2 miles of Waldo, about 9 p. m., that I was
informed that the enemy had that morning changed their direction and
were making for the Saint John's River. Couriers were sent to inform
Capt. Dickison of my movements shortly after I left Camp Jackson,
again when I turned to intercept the enemy, and again when I changed
direction to go to Waldo, none of which returned to me, and neither did
I get a dispatch from Capt. Dickison until I was near the Santa Fe
River, a few miles from Waldo.

Upon my arrival at Waldo at 10 p. m., I immediately sent a dispatch to
you by way of Gainesville stating that I had reached there with my
command, and that the enemy had returned to the Saint John's River.
A short time afterward I received a dispatch from Capt. Dickison
stating that I would find him on the road toward Orange Springs or
Palatka with his command, and I was not advised of any change in his
intentions until the next morning at 7 o'clock, when I was informed by
a citizen, who I was satisfied knew, that Capt. Dickison was still at
Gainesville. Capt. Cone, with a detachment of about 50 men
(cavalry), was at once sent to follow the enemy and ascertain positively
if they had returned to the river, the balance of the command remaining
at Waldo.

At 3 o'clock the next morning I received a dispatch from Capt. Cone,
informing me that he was on the east side of the Etoniah Scrubb at 5 p.
m., and that the enemy's cavalry had reached Magnolia on Thursday
evening, and that the infantry was there by that time. Finding that the
enemy had escaped and reached the river, I at once determined to return
with my command. Not knowing that the brigadier-general commanding
was at Gainesville, and deeming Waldo to be the most suitable place for
the position of forces for the defense of that portion of the State, I
ordered Capt. Dickison to move with his command to that place, but
was informed by him that in obedience to orders he would move at 1 p.
m. to Palatka. I at once went to Gainesville, where I met the
brigadier-general commanding, and received from him an order to
return with my command to Camp Jackson, which place I reached on
the evening of the 21st instant.

The enemy's force reported to be moving on my right on Monday was
very correctly supposed to be larger than my own force of cavalry then
available, having at that time to picket a line of about 20 miles. Many
of the cavalry men had been sent to the interior of the country for the
purpose of remounting, and were daily returning with fresh horses, and
when I ordered Lieut.-Col. Scott to place every available man
in the saddle to pursue them, I confidently expected that there would be
enough men returning during the day to furnish the necessary and usual
scouting parties that had been daily sent around Baldwin. In addition to
the scouts that had been sent to the right of Baldwin on that day, 3 of
the most reliable scouts were started to the Saint John's River to observe
the movements of the transports. These men were to cross the railroad
5 or 6 miles to the right of Baldwin, and it was presumed that they
would ascertain and report if there was any movement in that direction
from Baldwin, and upon finding the trial the enemy's cavalry had made
they followed it several miles, when one of them returned to camp to
report, and the others went on toward the river and crossed the railroad
and wagon road before the enemy's infantry passed, and consequently
did not know of the movement.

The enemy's forces reported by Maj. Goldthwaite as having moved
from Baldwin in a southerly direction did not travel the usual and direct
road to Trail Ridge, but after leaving Baldwin some 3 or 4 miles crossed
the railroad and went in a direction that would have taken them back to
Middleburg. They, however, turned again and camped the first night at
Trail Ridge. Their next day's march again indicated that they might
return to the river, for they encamped at Kingsley's Pond, some 7 or 8
miles from Whitesville, going by Clay Hill. Their next day's march brought
them at 3 p.m. within 3 miles of Starke, where my scouts found them, and reported
as stated previously. From this place they moved to the head of the
Santa Fe River, which brought them only a few miles nearer to Waldo
than they were at Alligator crossing, but they were so located as to be
able to escape toward Palatka had I marched directly for them, or been
too far advanced for me to cut them off had I turned toward Magnolia.

I omitted to mention in the proper place that in addition to the forces
then at Camp Jackson I ordered Capt. Pepper's command, at Lake
City, leaving only enough there to do provost and other guard duty, to
join me on my expedition.

I have the honor to be, captain, your obedient servant,

Lieut.-Col., Cmdg.

Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Lake City, Fla.



Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
Jul 21, 2015
Houston,TX area
There are 15 pages of records for him at but they are all Quartermaster type records.


1st Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2009
Collierville, TN
There are 15 pages of records for him at but they are all Quartermaster type records.
I'm seeing 59 pages with the first 30 or so being cards on his service and the remainder documents.

{Edited} I checked and all the extra files are Requisition forms.

I found two pieces of info about his commissioning.
Aug 31, 1861 Commissioned as Brevet 2nd Lt of Marion Dragoons
Nov 2, 1862 - Commissioned Officer - to form 2nd Cav. Reccommend for Lt. Col.

Here is the first card that contains a summary of his career.

Last edited:


1st Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2009
Collierville, TN
There are 3 cards that refer to other files---which I don't know where to find them. I preseume he requested or was recommended for a promotion or appointment.

Board of Exam, S.O. 51/9: Dept of SC, Ga & Fla -- Dated Apr 22, 1863
Board of Exam, S.O. 1001; Dept of SC, Ga & Fla -- Dated Nov 26,1863
Board of Exam, S.O. 20; Dept of SC, Ga & Fla -- Dated Jan 29, 1864


1st Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2009
Collierville, TN
Here is some items I found.

Bicentennial News article dated 1975
(Continued on page 12),1206487&hl=en

"Dickison and his Men: Reminiscences of the war in Florida""Marion dragoons" cavalry&f=false

Facebook Group: "2nd Florida Cavalry Company C"

An article about the formation of troops in Florida taken from
Florida In The Civil WarConfederate Military History, Vol. 11.

Partial Quote:
Gen. William A. Owens, who had some years previous moved from South Carolina, and was an honored citizen of Marion county and one of the largest planters in the State, organized in 1861 the first volunteer independent company of cavalry in Marion county, known as the Marion Dragoons, composed of material not surpassed in any part of the Confederate States. Their personnel was so superb, their horsemanship so splendid, and their equipments of such superior quality, that Gen. R. E. Lee, while on a visit of inspection to the troops and fortifications on the island of Fernandina, paid them a high compliment, saying that "they were the finest looking and most superbly mounted company he had seen, not excepting the Black Horse cavalry of Virginia." This command was enrolled in the Confederate States army and assigned to duty in the summer of 1861 at Fernan-dina. The officers in command were Wm. A. Owens, captain; Wm. C. Chambers, first lieutenant; Samuel Ross, second lieutenant; and A. McCormick, third lieutenant. The company remained on duty until the evacuation of the island. Owing to impaired health Captain Owens resigned the command and retired to his plantation home to begin another work essential to the well-being of a community: devoting his time and energies to the material support of the cause, the protection of the neighborhoods around, and caring for the helpless families whose protectors were in the field. His nobly generous soul ever cherished a patriotic pride in the career of the gal. lant men who had once formed his military family, and who were greatly endeared to him by the warm friendship existing and their high estimate of him as a true patriot and noble gentleman. The Dragoons, after the resignation of their beloved commander, were divided into two companies, Lieutenant Chambers being appointed captain of one command and Lieutenant Rou captain of the other. By this arrangement there were nine independent companies of cavalry, and the tenth was formed by special order of General Finegan, authorizing Capt. J. J. Dickison to raise a company of cavalry to make up the complement for a regiment to be mustered into the Confederate States army for three years or the war, as the Second Florida regiment of cavalry.


1st Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2009
Collierville, TN
Your thread is now moved to this category and it should get some attention and hopefully, find your answers.
First, we need to find where he was buried.

I googled his name and found an entry in WikiTree that said he was born in 1826. Do you have a date of Birth and maybe a Date of Death?
I assume you don't but I had to ask.


Aug 26, 2007
Central Florida
A History of the 2nd Fl Cav...


Organization: Organized from independent companies on December 4, 1862.
Surrendered at Baldwin, Florida, on May 17, 1865.

First Commander: Caraway Smith

Field Officers: Robert Harrison (Major)
Abner H. McCormick (Lieutenant Colonel)
Assignments: District of East Florida, Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida (Companies B, C, F, H and K) (December 1862-February 1864) District of Middle Florida, Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida (Companies A, D, E, G and I) (December 1862-February 1864)

Cavalry, District of East Florida, Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida (February 1864)

District of Florida, Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida (February-July 1864)

Jackson's-Miller's Brigade (District of Florida), Department of South Carolina,Georgia and Florida (July 1864-May 1865)

Battles: Jacksonville (March 10, 1863) near Jacksonville (March 23, 1863)

Ocklockonnee Bay (Companies G and 1) (March 24, 1863)

Palatka (Company H) (March 27, 1863)

St. John's Mill (August 19, 1863)

St. Augustine (December 30, 1863)

Capture of the USS Columbine (detachment)(May23,1864) Trout Creek (July 15, 1864)

Gainesville (August 15-19, 1864)

Magnolia (October 24,1864)

Olustee (February 20, 1864)

Station Four (February 13, 1865)

Further Reading: Dickison, Mary Elizabeth, Dickison and His Men, Reminiscences of the War in Florida. Dickison, John J., Volume XI-Florida, Confederate Military History.


1st Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2009
Collierville, TN
Battles: Jacksonville (March 10, 1863) near Jacksonville (March 23, 1863)
I take it that ALL of these battles were in Florida? Sites that are unfamiliar with many of us.

This is 1850 census .... I think I found him.. oh hope this post right I am doing it from my phone.
That worked. I found a site that listed his father as Paul. So that seems to confirm what I found.


Aug 26, 2007
Central Florida
I take it that ALL of these battles were in Florida? Sites that are unfamiliar with many of us.
The fall the Jacksonville to the union forces.

Most actions in Florida were not battles but skirmishes or low entice warfare many were called affairs: Here an example of fighting in Florida.. This is remember as the Affair at Ockloockonnee Bay

Numbers 1. - Brigadier General Howell Cobb, C. S. Army, commanding District of Middle Florida including affair in Ocklockonnee Bay, Florida, March 24, 1863, with congratulatory letter from General Beauregard.

Numbers 2. - Major W. W. Scott, C. S. Army, First Battalion Florida Infantry.

Numbers 1. Report of Brigadier General Howell Cobb, C. S. Army, commanding District of Middle Florida, including affair in Ocklockonnee Bay, Florida, March 24, 1863, with congratulatory letter from General Beauregard.

Quincy, Fla., March 28, 1863.

GENERAL: I have the honor of inclosing to you reports of two skirmishes in this district-the one at Saint Andrew's Bay by a portion of Captain --- Robinson's company; the other at Ocklockonnee Bay by a detachment under the command of Captain [G. W.] Scott, of the Second Florida Cavalry.* The first was a party of foraging Yankees who had come ashore to steal and plunder; all but 3 of them were killed.+ The second was a Yankee party sent up the Ocklockonnee Bay to capture a schooner (Onward) which had lately run the blockade. The when discovered. The prompt movements of Captain Scott and his officers and men enabled them to reach the place before the Yankees could succeed; and though for the want of the necessary means they could not recapture the vessel, the Yankees were compelled to abandon and burn it, with a loss, it is believed, of 10 or 12 men killed. In both cases the flag of the Abolitionists was captured, and I now have them, subject to the order of the commanding general.

We sustained no loss in either affair.

There has been no serious demonstration on any part of this district, and I have, in response to the request of Brigadier-General Finegan, sent forward to his support such re-enforcements as I felt might be temporarily spared from the district. I have also notified him that if the emergency required it I would still further re-enforce him, and with that view I keep a portion of my command ready to march at a moment's notice. If required here they can be promptly returned to me.

I am, general, very respectfully, yours,


Brigadier-General, Commanding District.

General THOMAS JORDAN, Chief of Staff, Charleston, S. C.

Charleston, S. C., April 3, 1863.

Brigadier General H. COBB,

Commanding District of East Florida:

GENERAL: The commanding general instructs me, through you, to

Here is a list of actions recorded in Florida during the war: at Ocklockonnee Bay&f=false


Aug 26, 2007
Central Florida
Here is a death notice of a son of Abner H McCormick and the name of his wife and his birth place....

Charles G Mccormick
Florida Deaths
Name Charles G Mccormick
Event Date 14 Aug 1922
Event Place Tallahassee, Leon, Florida
Gender Male
Race (Original) White
Race White
Age (Original) 65y 5m 6d
Birth Date 08 Mar 1857
Birthplace Micanopy, Marion Co.
Marital Status Married
Spouse's Name Lizzie May Mccormick
Father's Name Abner Mccormick
Father's Birthplace Tallahassee, Fla.
Mother's Name Eumanza Duckworth
Mother's Birthplace Selma, Ala.
Occupation Route Agent Amer Ry Ex Co
Additional Relatives X

Here is a death notice of a daughter of Abner H McCormick daughter the S in her name stands for Sarah...

Name Abner H. Mccormick
Birthplace Tallahassee, Florida
Gender Male
Wife Duckworth
Daughter S. Kitty Reddick

Other information in the record of S. Kitty Reddick
from Florida Deaths
Name S. Kitty Reddick
Event Date 19 Apr 1932
Event Place Jacksonville, Duval, Florida
Gender Female
Race (Original) W
Race White
Age (Original) 80y
Birth Date 02 Apr 1852
Birthplace Marion Co., Florida
Marital Status Widowed
Father's Name Abner H. Mccormick
Father's Birthplace Tallahassee, Florida
Mother's Name Duckworth
Residence Place 1440 Iona Street
Burial Place Reddick, Florida
Burial Date 20 Apr 1932
Last edited:


Aug 26, 2007
Central Florida
Abner H McCormick was a deputy surveyor in his early life... He listed as a surveyor on the 1850 census...

Here is the odd thing he supposedly left a cache somewhere in Hillsborough County in 1848... if true I can not prove but its listed as a Geocaching site... the sport of using gps to find where people hide things throughout the world and then you hide something there too.


Aug 26, 2007
Central Florida
Here is a court case over the Paul McCormick plantation... who owns what and Paul and Abner have both died before case happens... The case sights Paul McCormick death March 7, 1871 but does not give Abner's date or year of death...,+Marion+county+fl.&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAWoVChMI57Wt1a70yAIVhD8-Ch123wG5#v=onepage&q=Abner H McCormick, Marion county fl.&f=false

Scroll back to page 752 its called... Stewart vs Mathews...

Sarah Reddick Abner's daughter get a notice of unpaid taxes on July 3, 1872 and files the deed on records deed march 1875 so we can assume Abner mostly died before July 1872. I would guess Abner died before his dad died in 1871...
Last edited:


Aug 26, 2007
Central Florida
The sad story of Abner's sister Sarah..


William McGahagin settled about ten miles south of Ocala, possibly on a government land grant. When he was about thirty-seven years of age, he married Sarah E. McCormick, daughter of Paul McCormick who also lived in the Ocala district and had acquired much property. William and Sarah McGahagin had only one son, Willie, born in 1854. ...

Great-Uncle William became a probate judge, also was ex-officio president of the board of county commissioners of Marion County in 1851. Marion County was established in 1844.

He was also a member of the Secession Convention which met in Tallahassee in January 1861. The other delegates from Marion County were S. M. G. Gary and Dr. James B. Owens, “By action taken, Florida became a free and independent nation.”

Sarah McCormick McGahagin died of consumption when Willie was too small to remember her. During the Civil War his father met an Army Nurse and married her. Her name was Thyrza Brewer. They lived in the Marion County home for a few years [page 5] while William was a probate judge. He became ill one day and a doctor was sent for. Some medicine was left. Thyrza gave it to her husband as directed and soon he died. She thought the medicine caused his death. She continued to live in the home for some years. Sometimes Willie was there; most of the time he was in boarding school in Savannah.

... She finally sold the place and moved back to Georgia.

After her departure, Willie spent his vacations at his Uncle Josh’s home. He was a slim, active, fun-loving boy, six feet two inches tall. As he grew up he liked to ride pirited horses and to attend parties. He often rode to Leesburg to attend a party. He was fairly wealthy even after the war. His favorite relatives were his cousin Addie McGahagin, two years his junior and her older brother, William, eight years hs senior.

When he was about twenty, Willie developed the dread consumption. For a few months he stayed in the home of his Uncle Josh, where he was well cared for. He [page 6] gave his cousin, Addie, his mother’s jewelry, a gold watch and chain, several broaches, gold pencils and rings. As he became weaker he went to the home of his cousin, William E. McGahagin in Lake Weir, where he died at the age of twenty-one. He never married. He gave them his mother’s silverware.


1st Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2009
Collierville, TN

Similar threads

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)