Louisiana Soldiers In The War - Were You Ever At Camp Moore?

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021

However, as many Civil War historians know, the troops that came out of Louisiana were not renowned for their discipline. Drunkenness and rowdiness were a constant problem within the borders of Camp Moore. Wit Martin wrote on June 4th​, “We are encamped next to Maj Bob Wheat’s Battalion and a rough set of neighbors they are. One company is composed of levee rats of New Orleans and they have a row among themselves nearly every day. The whole camp has been under arms twice since we have been here to put down their rows but we have not been obliged to whip them in.” [10]

Part of this problem was due to the abundant supply of whiskey and alcohol that went almost unregulated. Sutlers and restaurants could be found within camp. Enlisted men flocked to these establishments and presented a written order from a commanding officer to acquire liquor. To trick the system, they forged signatures or fabricated names that were often overlooked by the sutlers. And if that did not work, there were several stores a mile away in Tangipahoa that could help them quench their thirst. [11] Discipline did exist within the camp. A private who was court-marshalled for striking at a commanding officer “was sentenced to wear a ball and chain for six weeks. During the first week he stood at evening parade on a post in public view; the next week he was to promenade with a barrel over his head.” [12]

Unidentified-LA-Soldier-LOC.jpg

Unidentified Louisiana lieutenant (LOC)

Louisiana hasn't changed much since the CW. If you are tall enough to put money on a bar in the Quarter you can get a drink

The Louisiana Tigers, are interesting uniforms by Antietam, they where not used anymore. They where probably thrown away. By Gettysburg they had the regular jean wool gray uniforms. They fought at Culp's Hill. That's where also Mr. Cupls nephew, who was killed on his farm. I think was in a SC unit.

Zouaves.jpg

5be5d7cc3e1b8.image.jpg

1st-la-special-btl-pvts.jpg

Camp Moore is only a few miles across the Louisiana state line from me.

I had many cousins and uncles that passed through Camp Moore on the way to the ANV and local regiments.

The place is virtually unchanged since the War.
Moreover, they have a small, but very impressive little museum.

Not sure if it's completely open due to the virus, but if one is driving down Interstate 55 to visit New Orleans, it's worth a stop . . .
just a few miles into Tangipahoa Parish .

Last edited:
Louisiana hasn't changed much since the CW. If you are tall enough to put money on a bar in the Quarter you can get a drink

Truer words were never typed, though its not limited to the Quarter, but the whole State. I have many memories of visiting the bars of Louisiana, when it wasn't exactly... I might not ought to go too much into detail.

However, I do remember a young 17 year old East Texan and one of his reenacting buddies about the same age going to bar near Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, in full uniform, with their muskets and getting thoroughly inebriated after reenacting the Battle of Mansfield, until one's brand new dark brown Confederate coat, getting mistaken for a blue Yankee coat in the dimly lit bar. It did not end well! The fights, broken bottles, and everything else imaginable led that 17 year old to have nightmares for a couple weeks!

Truer words were never typed. I have many memories of visiting the bars of Louisiana, when it wasn't exactly... I might not ought to go too much into detail.

However, I do remember a young 17 year old East Texan and one of his reenacting buddies about the same age going to bar near Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, in full uniform, with their muskets and getting thoroughly inebriated after reenacting the Battle of Mansfield, until one's brand new dark brown Confederate coat, getting mistaken for a blue Yankee coat in the dimly lit bar. It did not end well! The fights, broken bottles, and everything else imaginable led that 17 year old to have nightmares for a couple weeks!
But no doubt there was Cajun music playing in the background.

:laugh:

But no doubt there was Cajun music playing in the background.

:laugh:

Nope North Louisiana, Lynyard Skynyer.

That 17 year old East Texas boy tried to diffuse the situation, but his hot headed South Texas buddie of his went to trying to use his bayonet after the bottles started flying, and the when everybody started fighting everybody that 17 year old East Texan had to whack his hot headed friend with the butt of his musket to knock him out and drag him outta there. Just in time for their Captain and "provost guard" from the regiment to arrive and save those boys.

145th Anniversary of the Red River Campaign was fun.

I wonder whatever happened to those stupid kids...:D

Nope North Louisiana, Lynyard Skynyer.
Come to think of it, Skynrd tunes would be common in that part of Louisiana.

Here's a photo of my ancestor taken at Camp Moore in his new Confederate Lieutenant's uniform ( fresh from the New Orleans tailor).

Lt. William Magee, 9th Louisiana , ANV.

William_Magee_III.jpg

Come to think of it, Skynrd tunes would be common in that part of Louisiana.

Here's a photo of my ancestor taken at Camp Moore in his new Confederate Lieutenant's uniform ( fresh from the New Orleans tailor).

Lt. William Magee, 9th Louisiana , ANV.

View attachment 381452

Now he looks fine as a new penny!

Back