Louisiana Native Guard Photo

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
Published in The Visual Dictionary of the Civil War, p.16. It is described as "photograph of 1st Louisiana Native Guard member, collection of Dr. Keith Cangelosi, Confederate Memorial Hall" (New Orleans, LA).

ab123a.jpg

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The first question of the possible photo of the 1st Louisiana Native Guard is if it was taken when the unit was in service of the CSA or USA? We need to study the clues in the image. So a nine-button frockcoat, perhaps blue in color, or is it gray?

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
The first question of the possible photo of the 1st Louisiana Native Guard is if it was taken when the unit was in service of the CSA or USA? We need to study the clues in the image. So a nine-button frockcoat, perhaps blue in color, or is it gray?

If it were clearer it'd be easier to tell the possible color. I would think it'd be darker if blue, but who knows the lighting conditions when taken.

Around the buttons it looks a little off for a US frock, especially on his chest, but the plain brass belt plate he's wearing is solidly Confederate. He's carrying a smooth-bore musket, hardly an indication of what side he's on, but if the 1st LA NG was issued with Enfields or Springfields after switching sides it'd be a pretty firm indicator of what side he's then-currently on. (I don't think weapons were a common photographer's prop in Occupied New Orleans.)

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Maybe so, but clear or not the notched corners give it away as a plain militia/Confederate belt plate with no decoration.

Part of my issue is that when I enlarge the image I can not be 100% sure the belt plate has notched corners. those to our right look notched but those on the right could be square corners. When enlarged the image seem to have "ghosts" at the corners of the belt plate.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
If it were clearer it'd be easier to tell the possible color. I would think it'd be darker if blue, but who knows the lighting conditions when taken.

Around the buttons it looks a little off for a US frock, especially on his chest, but the plain brass belt plate he's wearing is solidly Confederate. He's carrying a smooth-bore musket, hardly an indication of what side he's on, but if the 1st LA NG was issued with Enfields or Springfields after switching sides it'd be a pretty firm indicator of what side he's then-currently on. (I don't think weapons were a common photographer's prop in Occupied New Orleans.)
All the documents I have seen refer to them as muskets. They had 10 per company to learn the use of arms.
Don't think any Enfields were available. The state had to issue an appeal to the public for the donation of arms. The resulting collection was called a "firearms museum."
Unit Information (1).jpg

Unit Information.jpg

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
The photo appears on two different pages of the book. I believe it indicates he was Confederate but I'll recheck.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
The photo appears on two different pages of the book. I believe it indicates he was Confederate but I'll recheck.
It doesn't say - either US or CS.

Based on a statement by Art Bergeron, those in possession of the photo believe it to be Confederate:
"I have seen one image of a soldier thought to be a member of the Confederate Louisiana Native Guards. He is unidentified. The photo is privately owned but has been on loan at various times to Memorial Hall in New Orleans and used in one of their displays."