Losing A Battlefield In Virignia

Neagle2VR

Private
Mechanicsville (Hanover Courthouse), Virginia
Aw man! That is heartbreaking. I went back and looked at that thread and the pictures. It was a beautiful site.

I February of this year I posted pictures of The Battle Of Haw's Shop" in Studley, Hanover County, VA. I drove past there this past weekend and saw realtor's signs at the edge of the field by the road, then found out it has been sold and will be the site of a new subdivision. A sad day for Hanover County and America's battlefield.

Eric Wittenburg can you pull off a miracle? Remember the story of Brian Pohanka where he literally saw the bullsdozers moving, and drove straight to his lawyer's office and got an temporary restraining order.

I will make sure that my contacts at the Trust are aware of this, but there's not a single inch of that battlefield that's been preserved. It's going to be a real challenge.
Thank you. I was hoping someone would know how to inform them of this battlefield. Slim hope is still hope. I will hate to see this be developed. I live within fifteen minutes from there. Maybe only two miles "as the crow flies."

I have driven past this battlefield numerous tomes since I originally posted this and see that it has been divided into 10 acre tracts. The Confederate headquarters were located on the other side of the church, and Confederate graves are located on church property, as is the flag and historical marker. Maybe the Battlefield trust could look into acquiring the surrounding lands for preservation.

Back