1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Looting the South Split from Uncivil Action: Was Lincoln Wrong on Secession?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by Old_Glory, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Old_Glory

Old_Glory Sergeant Major

You left out the part about how by 1860, Cotton profits had exploded in the South. Slavery was an important component of cotton production at the time. No state in the North grew cotton of any significance.

[​IMG]

Look at all that money that needs to be looted. Surely that had nothing to do with it, it was all about slavery, not money or cotton at all.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Evidence please.

4. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel Forum Host

About that time England was beginning to get large amounts of cotter from Egypt and India and as such the price of southern cotton was on a slide downhill.Cotton was being to lose its status as King Cotton.

Eagle eye and leftyhunter like this.
  5. jgoodguy

They also had a year's supply in warehouses. In addition demand was not increasing as much as it had been , but supply was increasing.

However I would like to see the evidence that looting not the attack on Fort Sumter caused the Civil War.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

jgoodguy,

Perhaps we are looking in the wrong direction for this "looting."

After all, did not the seceding South looted arsenals, mints, payrolls, forts, ships, custom houses, shipyards, etc., sometimes looting such before a state had even seceded from the Union?

Just sayin'.

Unionblue

7. nitrofd

I am not really sure what the OP means by all that money had to be looted???

leftyhunter and jgoodguy like this.
  8. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Major

I may be mistaken but I thought that India ( of course we mean British India much larger the todays India) and Egypt ( nominally independent) only exported cotton in commercial quanties in mid 1862 when European textile factories had to lay off thousands of workers. Was Southern cooton already being price squeezed by foreign competition in 1860?
    Leftyhunter

CSA Today and jgoodguy like this.
  9. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Major

I doubt that the slaves really cared who was freeing them as long as they were freed.
    Leftyhunter

10. nitrofd

The price really dropped because of an over supply in the warehouses in Britain an Europe.

jdmnw and jgoodguy like this.
  11. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Major

Is that what caused the massive European textile worker layoffs in 1862?
    Leftyhunter

12. jgoodguy

IMHO
    The price of cotton shot up until the early 1860s because demand was increasing until then, afterwards demand increased only at the same rate as population growth. This was because during the first half of the 19th century new markets around the world was opened to British cotton. Once the new markets were suppied, the only growth was population growth.
    In 1860 bumper crops and hording in anticipation of disruption of the American supply let to a years worth of cotton in British warehouse. Southern Cotton was superior in quality to anything, but any cotton was better than no cotton. After 1865 Southern Cotton returned to dominance, but demand was not increasing very fast, but the supply of cotton was increasing very fast because that was what the South specialized in. So there was a boom and bust until the 20th century.

Eagle eye and leftyhunter like this.
  13. Drew

Drew Captain

Dig on foreign exchange earned through cotton exports during the period. Northern finance and industry weren't letting go of it, slavery notwithstanding. Please.

14. unionblue

Drew,

Southern desires to hold onto King Cotton via slavery led to them putting on an embargo on cotton to overseas importers. So, how did the Northern finance and industry manage to grow and expand during this embargo? Did the North go broke? Was their finances turned down by foreign nations at the time?

Sincerely,
    Unionblue

15. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Major

Any evidence during or after the Civil War Northerners reaped income that should of gone to the South? Put another way what Northerners actually made large profits from Southern cotton? Any evidence that Lincoln or others caused the war for personal enrichment?
    Leftyhunter

jdmnw, major bill and jgoodguy like this.
  16. Drew

Drew Captain

UB, the point is, they weren't letting go of it. Evidence is a four year-long Civil War, sparked by the South just wanting to go away and take their cotton with them. That wasn't going to be allowed, clearly. We might ask ourselves why.

Youngblood and Andersonh1 like this.
  17. jgoodguy

I seem to recall South attacked the North. Hardly just wanting to go away.

18. Drew

Drew Captain

You're kidding, right? You need 'evidence' Northerners made money during or after the war from cotton?

Four years of my life, wasted in these forums.

19. Drew

Drew Captain

No, wanting to go away is what it was all about. The North wouldn't have it, in case you haven't noticed.

Four years of my life....

20. unionblue

I have.

The only thing the South was afraid of having looted from themselves was their slaves, the basis of their wealth concerning cotton.

Dollar signs, yes, but in the other direction.

Unionblue

jdmnw, Burning Billy, nitrofd and 4 others like this.
  21. unionblue

Imagine my frustration with a member I have come to respect and admire for his honesty and directness but is as stubborn as a mule in most cases.

And I've been here 23 years of my life...

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)