Chickamauga Chattanooga Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga-Chattanooga NMP

You probably mean the one showing Thomas' defense of Snodgrass Hill, which is used on the cover of the current NPS folder for Chickamauga-Chattanooga NMP. According to the credit on the folder the painting is "Courtesy National Museum of the U. S. Army, Army Art Collection." But I wouldn't be surprised if the NPS store at Chickamauga had copies for sale as prints. As I noted in my separate thread about the painting itself, there is also a much smaller version of Lookout by Walker on display in the Fuller Gun Collection room of the museum/visitor center there.

Yeah that is it. I believe David Powell is also using it on the cover for his new book about Chickamauga. I'd love to get a print of that, may just have to look next time i'm up at the battlefield in the Visitor's Center.

Lookout.jpg

Since this is now the anniversary of Orchard Knob-Lookout Mountain-Missionary Ridge I thought I'd post a couple more photos from what I think was my first visit here, now over fifty years ago in 1961 during the Centennial. Above shows another view of the first location seen in this thread, Garrity's Alabama Battery's Napoleons with yours truly standing between them; below is me beside one of the section of twenty-pounder Parrotts there. Here's also a link to the companion thread to my story of Chickamauga-Chattanooga NMP's Chattanooga sites:

http://www.civilwartalk.com/threads...nary-ridge-chickamauga-chattanooga-nmp.91803/

Lookout 001.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of the biggest battle of the civil war and IMO one of the best . I have just started getting more into it and I can not believe the fighting and troop movement I need to do a lot more reading but thank you for the pic. very nice

Since this is now the anniversary of Orchard Knob-Lookout Mountain-Missionary Ridge I thought I'd post a couple more photos from what I think was my first visit here, now over fifty years ago in 1961 during the Centennial.

I also enjoyed these old photos. Brought back memories. My brother was stationed at Fort Lee during the Centennial. He was one lucky dude but it also was good for me as I was able to visit him---when I was 10 or 11--- and take his guided tours. On one trip, Dad stopped in Chattanooga to visit with one of his ole WW2 buddies. We took photos on the top of Lookout Mountain that looked very much like your photos. What we DID NOT know then was that our ancestor was there 100+/- years earlier. Now I know that we could have tossed a stone over the edge and it would have landed close to where he was fighting and probably taken prisoner.

I hope James N. doesn't mind me posting this info to his thread. It seems to fit.

The organization of the Confederate forces were changed and re-assigned which seemed to be normal for General Bragg. Most reference books, such as McDonough's "Chattanooga- A Death Grip on the Confederacy" and Cozzens' "The Shipwreck of Their Hopes", have a organizational table in the Appendix. However these tables reflect the organization at the start of the Battle of Chickmauga. I was quite confused about what units were available on November 24 for the Battle of Lookout Mountain and who was in command.
For example, I read that General Jackson was in command but I also read that Maj-General Stevenson was. If Jackson was a division commander then Stevenson's command should include another division--right?
I've put together a time-line of the changes to the units that defended the West flank of the Confederate forces that encircled Chattanooga. Please add comments as needed.

General outline of the divisions and brigades prior to re-organization early in November 1863.
The brigades are identified by commander's name in small font.

Hardee Corps
Cheatham Division
Jackson (Georgia & 5 & 8 Miss)
Moore
Walthall
Wright

Hindman Division
Walker Division

and elsewhere was
Stevenson Division
Brown
Cumming
Pettus
Vaughn

=============================================================
Nov 9
Gen. Stevenson was placed in command of Cheatham’s Division and the West flank.
Stevenson's Division moved to the West flank.
Walker’s Division moved to the East flank.

Stevenson Left Wing
Stevenson Division – CG Stevenson -- on top of Lookout Mtn
Brown
Cumming
Pettus
Cheatham Division – CG Gen. John K. Jackson - Cravens House to Chattanooga Creek
Jackson
Moore
Walthall

============================================================
Nov 23
Jackson’s Brigade and Cumming’s Brigade sent to Chattanooga valley.
Bragg re-assigned Garrity’s battery to Missionary Ridge.

============================================================
November 24, 1863
Stevenson Left Wing - CG Maj-Gen Carter L. Stevenson, HQ on top of Mtn.
defending 2 miles, Chattanooga Creek to Lookout Creek and Mountain

Jackson Division - HQ was ¼ mile behind line of Jackson & Cumming’s Brigades
CG Gen. John K. Jackson
Listed in order or placement around Lookout Mtn (West to East)
Walthall - Mississippi
Moore
Pettus - Alabama - on top of Mtn, deployed to Cravens House
Brown - Tennesse - on top of Mtn, withdrew to Missionary Ridge at 7pm.
Jackson – Chattanooga Creek, not used in Battle
Cumming - Chattanooga Creek, not used in Battle

Some sources show a "Wilkinson Brigade". Was this a new name for Jackson’s brigade??

I may have found the answer to my Q.
Col. John C. Wilkinson commanded the 8th Mississippi Regiment which was part of Jackson's Brigade. So General Jackson must have placed Col. Wilkinson in charge of his brigade. I don't see the brigade by that name in the unit histories for the 5th or 8th Mississippi regiments; their brigade is still referred to as Jackson's.

This makes sense that Bragg would revert to his old "wing" formations like at Stones River and Chickamauga, but according to the accounts I've read it was Jackson that the 3 brigadiers actually engaged - Walthall, Moore, and Pettus - were looking for and not Stevenson. Not that Stevenson couldn'tve imposed some kind of order on things, but apparently he either didn't or didn't try; maybe that has something to do with him being in effect a "forgotten" corps commander.

What we DID NOT know then was that our ancestor was there 100+/- years earlier.
I can relate to that. It's only been within the last 15 years that I became aware of where my ancestors fought. When I was a kid, it was "yeah the Military Park was cool, but let's get back to the hotel so we can swim". Now I'm going back to each site and retracing the exact positions of where my my ancestor's unit was during the battles.

. . . . but according to the accounts I've read it was Jackson that the 3 brigadiers actually engaged - Walthall, Moore, and Pettus - were looking for and not Stevenson. .

That is true. Both Walthall and Moore did not want to move without going through their chain of command which would have been Gen. Jackson first. In my intro, I was just saying that I easily got confused as to the command of this wing. Moore got an answer to stay and defend but he realize his current position was useless so he seems to have disobeyed Gen. Jackson's order and repositioned his brigade in support of Walthall.

I get the impression that Gen. Stevenson was lost. He only surveyed his front the evening before in the dark. He may not have been at his HQ on top of Lookout Mtn for some of the day---not sure. And generally it took a courier about 1 hour to reach transfer a message across this difficult terrain, you can get some what of an idea of the prediciment they were in.

This makes sense that Bragg would revert to his old "wing" formations like at Stones River and Chickamauga
Also, "wing" may have been my terminology. I think it was used once in Cozzens book. You can't call Stevenson's command a Corps because he only had 1 division consisting of 6 brigades. So "wing" seems to fit better.

I don't have photos as great as James, but I thought I would add the photos I took last Sunday as filler.

This is a photo of the map displayed on the hiking trails. The Grey area is Private and the Green is NPS, as well as the trails. The Ranger took us on a hike that left the Cravens House and dropped down to the paved Road(Red). The tour with several stops was scheduled for 90 minutes. That will give you an idea of the length of this hike.
Close to the place where the Road makes a turn back to the Right and the Upper Truck Trail turns left was the location of Walthall's reserve units: the 27 & 24 Mississippi. One regiment was deployed down in the valley but was recalled back to this fall-back position.
We followed the Upper Truck Trail and then turned up hill on the Rifle-Pits Trail. Somewhere close to where it bends back North is where it crossed the remains of the stone wall defense position of the 29 & 30 Mississippi regiment.
lom_ 027_maptrails_A.jpg

This photo was taken North of the stone wall but I'm not sure if the wall wraps around or there was another position. This shows the marker for location of one of the works. View is looking West or down the slope. This gives some idea of the visibility on a clear day---which was not the case on November 24.

LoM_Tour_ 023-B Timber.jpg

Another view of area with marker. This area is very flat which must be where the Confederate camp was located just behind their stone wall. But the terrain quickly changes to steep slopes and undulating ridges.
LoM_Tour_ 030_B-wall.jpg

Last edited:
These set of markers are found on the road that leads to the Cravens House. Some are placed there for convenience and some may mark the location where Walthall and Pettus formed their line of defense in the wood line just East of the Cravens House.
As soon as you turn off the scenic road going up the Mountain, you will see a NPS Sign for Battles of Chattanooga. This location is just beyond that park entrance sign but still a only half the distance to the Cravens House.

+ The two markers on the right Rear designate the Division of Gen Carter L. Stevenson's Division.
+ The two markers on the left Rear, sitting on the ground, is for Gen. E. C. Walthall's Brigade. There is another small marker that designates the final line of defense.
+ The marker in Front of them is for Clayton's Brigade. I didn't recall this brigade being engaged and I can read why now. They relieved Walthall's brigade at 8 PM. It wasn't long after this that the Confederates began pulling off the mountain.
LoM_ 060-B - Markers.jpg

My final one for now. This was taken on top of the mountain at Point Park and is looking down in Lookout Valley. This is a Signal Corps demonstration. They have completed sending signal and laid down their 4 X 4 foot flag and are reading the signals sent from the top edge of that pasture (site of gardens). They were between the clump of trees and the white pole(or tree trunk).
Lookout Creek is on the edge of that pasture and this side of the road. General Stevenson originally had 9,000 troops to defend his front from the East Slope around the mountain to the West Slope and along Lookout Creek. After Bragg finished re-assigning troops, he only had 3000 troops covering this massive amount of rugged terrain.

LoM_Peak_ 047 -B- Signals.jpg

...Also, "wing" may have been my terminology. I think it was used once in Cozzens book. You can't call Stevenson's command a Corps because he only had 1 division consisting of 6 brigades. So "wing" seems to fit better.

I love your photos showing the ruggedness of the terrain! Unfortunately, since I live so far away from actual sites like this I have to cram as much as possible into my vacations to see them which precludes all but the routine NPS tour stops like Point Park or Cravens House. I walked a short distance up the trail leading from Cravens' parking lot to get a better shot showing most of the reservation - the first one in that post.

As for terminology, wing usually denotes HALF an army, right and left, ( rather than just its flanks like here ) as in Polk's Wing and Hardee's Wing at Stone's River; and Polk's Wing and Longstreet's Wing on the morning of Sept. 20 at Chickamauga. Interestingly enough during the campaign of Cedar Mountain - Second Manassas - Antietam, Lee's Army of Northern Virginia was divided the same way into Longstreet's Command and Jackson's Command before the Confederate Congress got around to approving the new ranks of Lieutenant General and the formal creation of army corps.

These pics bring back memories of the time we visited there when I was a kid. If I were to dig, I bet I could find some of those pics of us kids sitting on those very guns.

Since today's the anniversary of the Battle of Lookout Mountain, I thought I'd resurrect this thread of my visit there in May, 2013. There are other good photos showing the terrain by DixieRifles on the second page.

Very good thread and pictures.
The area known as Point Park is absolutely one of my favorite places on earth. If you could envision it before we Europeans showed up imagine how beautiful the view would be. I have been there several times in the past and never grow tired of it.

Back