Looking To Learn More About West-Coast Secessionists

Komi

Private
Hello all,
Would anyone here be able to help me a bit with learning about secessionist activity in the west coast states during the US Civil War? It's a subject I've been interested in, both as a history buff and someone who spent most of my childhood in that region, but sadly I'm not too well read on it so I was hoping I could get a bit of help from more knowledgeable people here. I thought I'd pose a few starting questions if anyone's interested in discussing this. :smile:

1) How much of a presence did secessionist groups have in the San Francisco Bay Area? It seems from my reading so far that secessionist sympathy was primarily strong in southern California (e.g. with groups like the Los Angeles Mounted Rifles) so I was curious what the situation was like farther north.

2) What was the position of the Californios in all this? Were there any notable communities that sided with the secessionist cause due to resentment over the US annexation of California?

3) Was there much secessionist sympathy or activity in Oregon? I've seen a few claims in online articles that there was talk among Californian secessionists of seceding with Oregon into a "Pacific Republic", but I haven't found any hard evidence to verify that either way.

Thanks.

Back