Looking to buy 1853 Enfield

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Lucky78

Cadet
I see several places to buy rifles, some cheaper than others. Where have you had the best experience? I’ve looked at Dixie Gun Works, Blockade Runner, Crescent City Sutlers to just name a few. Thanks!

rebracer

Corporal
Are you getting one to shoot (and shoot well) or for reenacting only? What you are going to use it for will impact not only where you purchase it but what manufacturer you purchase.

Rusk County Avengers

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
If your looking for one just for shooting, a brand new Pedersoli one from Dixie ought to do you good unless you can find a good used one somewhere. I personally detest Pedersoli, but they make a real good P1853 that should hit the target right out of the box, plus they're closer to the originals out of the box as well than Chiappa made ones.

If your looking for one to bang away with at a reenactment, I'd still say Pedersoli brand new. But if you look around at a reenactment you might find a decent one for a real bargain.

Lucky78

Cadet
Are you getting one to shoot (and shoot well) or for reenacting only? What you are going to use it for will impact not only where you purchase it but what manufacturer you purchase.
Mostly just reenacting. I may live fire it, but probably very little.

KHyatt

Private
I’m usually not very lucky (“if it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all”) but I made the same inquiries about 1853 Enfield reproductions about a year ago. I wanted a shooter, and everything I had read pointed to a British production Parker Hale as the rifle of choice. Unfortunately I only saw one come up for auction and the reserve hadn’t even been met when bids reached about $1200. I lived near Albuquerque and decided to call all the 30 or 40 pawn shops in the area just on the off chance that one might have a used Armi Sport, Chiappa, or something else that I could afford. On my very first call, the salesperson told me, “No, we don’t usually see many Civil War guns but we did just get in an old Parker Hale, if you’re interested.” A nervous 60 mile drive and 800 dollars later I had a very sweet early production Parker Hale p1853 Enfield. It’s a blast to shoot (pun intended) and a real nice looking gun to boot, especially after Todd Watts worked his magic. (Thanks again Todd!)

So, why did I tell you all this? My advice is don’t jump right into buying one of those expensive Pedersolis. A little time online or on the phone could pay off.

CowCavalry

Corporal
I have a defarbed two bander I have been toying with the thought of selling....its a Confederate impression defarbed by Lodgewood (so I was told when I bought it, looks well done).

Last edited:

ShortSeb

Private
For the best authenticity a used Parker Hale would be the best what I know. But an Armisport/Chiappa is a good alternative as well. I know both, Pedersoli and Chiappa. What I think is that quality finish and authenticity between Chiappa and Pedersoli are very close to same. Pedersoli has just a better ("matchgrade") barrel but that's more relevant for competition shooters.

captaindrew

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I’m usually not very lucky (“if it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all”) but I made the same inquiries about 1853 Enfield reproductions about a year ago. I wanted a shooter, and everything I had read pointed to a British production Parker Hale as the rifle of choice. Unfortunately I only saw one come up for auction and the reserve hadn’t even been met when bids reached about $1200. I lived near Albuquerque and decided to call all the 30 or 40 pawn shops in the area just on the off chance that one might have a used Armi Sport, Chiappa, or something else that I could afford. On my very first call, the salesperson told me, “No, we don’t usually see many Civil War guns but we did just get in an old Parker Hale, if you’re interested.” A nervous 60 mile drive and 800 dollars later I had a very sweet early production Parker Hale p1853 Enfield. It’s a blast to shoot (pun intended) and a real nice looking gun to boot, especially after Todd Watts worked his magic. (Thanks again Todd!)

So, why did I tell you all this? My advice is don’t jump right into buying one of those expensive Pedersolis. A little time online or on the phone could pay off.
Nice score!

drjekyll76

Corporal

That's a very nice score