Discussion Looking or a part on Sharps and Hankin carbine

hjheidi

Cadet
I have a 1859 Sharps and Hankin navel carbine and would like to know where I might find an authentic rear sight. Thanks for any information.

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie to the weapons & Ammo forum. We would love to see photos of it and as far as parts go you might try Lodgewood or Dixie GW. I also have one and I love it but would never fire it as they are a rare bird. Its the same sight as the other models
DSCN0106-001.JPG
DSCN0078-001.JPG
DSCN0068-001.JPG
DSCN0064-001.JPG

Welcome from northern AZ. I as well have a S&H Navy. Parts and info is very hard to find indeed. I agree with both replies. Pics would be great with more info. S&S Firearms has a nice selection of many parts. I just looked, and nothing there at the moment for the rear sight.
Is yours broke, missing, or just frozen up?
Enjoy... they are indeed a rare bird. I myself call mine the odd duck. There were not that many made.

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie to the weapons & Ammo forum. We would love to see photos of it and as far as parts go you might try Lodgewood or Dixie GW. I also have one and I love it but would never fire it as they are a rare bird. Its the same sight as the other models
View attachment 332534View attachment 332535View attachment 332536View attachment 332537
That style is exactly the one I would need. All the leather is completely removed. Also missing metal part that fitsnext to left died of hammer and screws on top of front stock.

That style is exactly the one I would need. All the leather is completely removed. Also missing metal part that fitsnext to left died of hammer and screws on top of front stock.
Also missing part that fits next to left side of hammer and screws also to front side of rifle stock? Don' know what this is called.

Welcome! Looking forward to some photos of your piece and your perspective in our other discussions! Enjoy!

Welcome from northern AZ. I as well have a S&H Navy. Parts and info is very hard to find indeed. I agree with both replies. Pics would be great with more info. S&S Firearms has a nice selection of many parts. I just looked, and nothing there at the moment for the rear sight.
Is yours broke, missing, or just frozen up?
Enjoy... they are indeed a rare bird. I myself call mine the odd duck. There were not that many made.
Completely missing sight and mounting hole still there. May have to be rethreaded carefully.

Also missing part that fits next to left side of hammer and screws also to front side of rifle stock? Don' know what this is called.
Once again pics would be nice and are easy to send. I assume you are talking about the safety slide on the left side next to the hammer, and the screws I assume you are talking about are the frame screws on the side. 2 of which go threw the stock. S&S Firearms has both items, but no screw for the slide. I'm still looking for one of those myself. Pics and link to S&S S&H parts from S&S Firearms

hammer.jpg

LS frame.jpg

Once again pics would be nice and are easy to send. I assume you are talking about the safety slide on the left side next to the hammer, and the screws I assume you are talking about are the frame screws on the side. 2 of which go threw the stock. S&S Firearms has both items, but no screw for the slide. I'm still looking for one of those myself. Pics and link to S&S S&H parts from S&S Firearms

View attachment 333017

View attachment 333018
Beautiful rifle you have there. I misinformed the forum about the missing left side. I do have the screws and safety piece.I'm missing the the part directly behind the hammer and screws to the stock on top. Yours is numbered8878. Missing also,the long narrow screw that goes through to hold it in place, as well as the screw that goes on top of stock. I don' know what that fashioned piece of metal is called. These rifles I'm trying to work on were messed around years ago and pieces were misplaced. I'm trying to get them in working order, but not to fire.

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

Beautiful rifle you have there. I misinformed the forum about the missing left side. I do have the screws and safety piece.I'm missing the the part directly behind the hammer and screws to the stock on top. Yours is numbered8878. Missing also,the long narrow screw that goes through to hold it in place, as well as the screw that goes on top of stock. I don' know what that fashioned piece of metal is called. These rifles I'm trying to work on were messed around years ago and pieces were misplaced. I'm trying to get them in working order, but not to fire.

That's not a S&H of my own. I used it as an example. It looks like your are missing one frame screw and the top or upper tang. By the pics, it looks like you have the screw for the top or upper tang, so that is a plus. S&S Firearms has those parts as said before. It looks like 2 styles of upper tangs were used. One is in stock, one is not. I assume your main spring is there for the hammer pull and release?
Good luck with your project. There were very few made and parts are very hard to come by. There is no such thing as price shopping on any old and wonderful ACW era relics.

That's not a S&H of my own. I used it as an example. It looks like your are missing one frame screw and the top or upper tang. By the pics, it looks like you have the screw for the top or upper tang, so that is a plus. S&S Firearms has those parts as said before. It looks like 2 styles of upper tangs were used. One is in stock, one is not. I assume your main spring is there for the hammer pull and release?
Good luck with your project. There were very few made and parts are very hard to come by. There is no such thing as price shopping on any old and wonderful ACW era relics.
Thanks a lot for your help. It's easier to tell a gunsmith what you need.

Thanks a lot for your help. It's easier to tell a gunsmith what you need.
Yes indeed-do, I agree 100%. I suggest you take the firearm with you and also suggest that you might ask instead of tell the gunsmith what you need. Wish you the best in finding the parts you need. We just try to help and support on this site is all.

The Rifle Shoppe has reproduction rear sights listed on their web site. Be sure to find out if they are in stock. If not in stock they will wait for enough orders to make a bunch. You could be waiting a long time. Good luck!!

Back