Looking for tips; A proper lady of Virginia's accent.

I'd want to stay low enough that nobody would question things. I was thinking Brigadier General as the absolute highest I'd go. Probably more likely a Colonel. I'll look into both those fine ladies, thank you! I'm also not set on Fredericksburg, that was just a thought.:smile:

I cross posted with you. Colonel would be more realistic, I think. Very hard to make rank in the old army, especially depending on the branch of service.

My next question is, what rank would father need be, in order for us to be affluent enough for me to be a lady? In the Confederate PACS as well as the Antebellum Regular Army?
Wow! Another great question! I'm guessing it had little to do with rank, more with affluence. Using the GWTW reference, Scarlett O'Hara was certainly considered a Lady, though her father was a first-generation Irish immigrant who 'made it rich'. Though fiction, it is probably a fair representation.
There were also many members of families long in America who achieved great wealth but did not serve.

Followup: can't find this right now because I'm at work and on my phone, but future Confederate general Robert Selden Garnett wrote a letter in the 1850s in which he talks about how a man should wait to be a major before marrying because the duties and income were more favorable to family life.

I found this: https://www.nps.gov/fosu/learn/education/upload/Money-Civil-War-Activity.pdf
So $195-$210 per month, depending on branch of service for a CSA Colonel. It doesn't go below Colonel, but I assume LTC and Majors made somewhere within the ballpark of their Union counterparts. Assuming pay was reaching them, that is, which as we know was typically not the case, I've heard of men going up to year before finally receiving pay(perhaps desertion would have been less an issue if the Confederate government was more punctual with soldier pay....just a thought). I'm not too well versed in Confederate economics, would this have been considered wealthy?

I must confess to being much more familiar with the prewar pay/rank system. A lot of men gained rank quickly though once the war started. I would think having a father who was a brigadier general before the war would be a stretch but not during.

I know someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to help you shortly. :smile:

Wow! Another great question! I'm guessing it had little to do with rank, more with affluence. Using the GWTW reference, Scarlett O'Hara was certainly considered a Lady, though her father was a first-generation Irish immigrant who 'made it rich'. Though fiction, it is probably a fair representation.
There were also many members of families long in America who achieved great wealth but did not serve.

My impression though, is specifically the daughter of a Virginia officer in the ANV. Though I do imagine GWTW is a fair representation.

I gather that the First Families of Virginia could be quite clannish. I don't know that they'd accept new money as their own, but I could be wrong.

I was leaning more towards my father being a cavalryman, you know so we get the extra $15 per month! :giggle:
Though I suppose that would, in all likelihood, go to taking care of pa's horse....

@Zella That's my thought as well. Though high ranking officers always seemed to be accepted in military obsessed Virginia.

I've read of many a poor boy from the time who was considered a fine soldier/officer but not a worthy suitor because of his background. I think the war helped change that some, but I don't know that folks were as charitable before. I've noticed a lot of cousin marriages among the Virginia upper crust of this time. They keep the money in the family and have already vetted the background. :wink:

I've read of many a poor boy from the time who was considered a fine soldier/officer but not a worthy suitor because of his background. I think the war helped change that some, but I don't know that folks were as charitable before. I've noticed a lot of cousin marriages among the Virginia upper crust of this time. They keep the money in the family and have already vetted the background. :wink:

Does not being a worthy suitor mean being shunned completely? Also, luckily, I'm not trying to marry my Paw. :roflmao:
If it would be better, I can be a wealthy planter's daughter, who's father is now in the army. Did the South have banks and other ways a man could become wealthy, without owning a plantation?

I don't think they were shunned. But there was a difference between being invited to a party and them being okay with you marrying into the family. :D

Lol not marrying one's father is always always a good thing! :bounce:

I suspect planter was the most obvious path to wealth. But I've come across some wealthy merchants. He could also be a lawyer or or a politician or some other professional.

YankeeB, to answer your question, many southern ladies had accents, but for your persona it would be appropriate for a well educated Southern lady to have almost none. I was thinking about this thread while I was feeding the horses and strangely enough one of the best modern examples is Dr. Carson. I know he is not Southern but he has that well spoken, kind of soft delivery and never misuses a word in his vast vocabulary. Master that delivery and add a little arrogance and you will be close. Should you slip in a little Yankee accent just say you were sent to Boston for a year before you went to Europe. BTW one of the best books I have read on Southern ladies is "The Lee Girls."

I don't think they were shunned. But there was a difference between being invited to a party and them being okay with you marrying into the family. :D

Lol not marrying one's father is always always a good thing! :bounce:

I suspect planter was the most obvious path to wealth. But I've come across some wealthy merchants. He could also be a lawyer or or a politician or some other professional.

I suspect even they drew the line at marrying your dad! :bounce:
I suppose a lawyer who was given a commission in the Virginia Cav., is a good way to go!

Also thank you @zburkett , I'll keep that in mind, and if anyone asks about my lack of accent, just act insulted and say "Oh my, what do you think I am, some common farm girl!?! Huff." *smacks patron with glove* "Now, if you will excuse me, I need to finish this letter to Papa. He's an officer under General Stuart you know. I'm mighty worried, I hope my horse is okay, I miss them both dearly." :giggle:

Or some excuse about spending my early years in PA....

I have no clue about civil war Virginia accents, but as a lifelong resident of the Commonwealth, I can assure you that accents in Virginia today are very varied. People East of the Blue Ridge have a different accent from people West of the Blue Ridge. People in the Northern Shenandoah Valley have different accents than those in the middle and Southern Valley.

I have no clue about civil war Virginia accents, but as a lifelong resident of the Commonwealth, I can assure you that accents in Virginia today are very varied. People East of the Blue Ridge have a different accent from people West of the Blue Ridge. People in the Northern Shenandoah Valley have different accents than those in the middle and Southern Valley.

I fully agree. There are many regional accents in the south to this day. When watching a movie and the actors are using a fake one size fits all accent, I'm done with that film. Even worse is when they try to use some sort of weird made up Texas accent as a general southern one.

Yankee B, I think you got it. Perhaps a little heavy handed but then I've known Southern ladies with a strong touch of that in them.
I suspect even they drew the line at marrying your dad! :bounce:
I suppose a lawyer who was given a commission in the Virginia Cav., is a good way to go!

Also thank you @zburkett , I'll keep that in mind, and if anyone asks about my lack of accent, just act insulted and say "Oh my, what do you think I am, some common farm girl!?! Huff." *smacks patron with glove* "Now, if you will excuse me, I need to finish this letter to Papa. He's an officer under General Stuart you know. I'm mighty worried, I hope my horse is okay, I miss them both dearly." :giggle:

Or some excuse about spending my early years in PA....

I've found these, let me know if these are even any good, those of you who know about this:

@zburkett I figured that was close. Not sure how slapping someone with my glove would go at an event, though.... maybe leave that part out. I was thinking "okay, how would Scarltett O'hara say this" and it seems to have worked. So fiddle-dee-dee that's what I'll do and if they don't like it, well that's just too bad!

Back