Looking for Songs of Civil War CD

rusty417

Cadet
Hello friends,

When I was a little boy, my father took our family to most of the major Civil War battlefields across America. At one of these battlefields he bought me an CD with songs from the Civil War era on it. This particular CD was narrated and the story was told from the point of view of America. What I mean is that, the nation of America was personified and told the story from his perspective.

Some of the songs were, "We Are Coming Father Abraham", "Just Before the Battle Mother", "Goober Peas", "When Johnny Comes Marching Home", and many more.

I have scoured the internet and have found many albums containing songs from the civil war, but I have not yet found this particular CD that was narrated from the perspective of the nation of America.

Anyone heard of this?

Much obliged for any help,

Rusty

Welcome from the UK and from The First Bull Run/ Manassas Forum

As to your specific question I can't entirely help you. I imagine other members can. One query though when you say 'when I was a little boy' what appoximate time period is this. As you state CD I would be guessing at the 1990's (in which case it sort of sounds like the thing Bobby Horton would do) but without more time specific information that is the best I can do.

I don't recall that particular one though I have a large collection of mainly vinyl discs, old cassette taps, and some cd's. It might help if you remember the date (year) of your trip - the NPS' stock sold in their visitor centers varies but is limited to things available commercially. Knowing when your visit was would narrow down things then available at the time instead of scattershooting across the spectrum of recorded material. Welcome to the forums!

Welcome! This narrated 3 CD set by Keith and Rusty McNeil was released in 1989 and has all the songs you mention + more listed here:
https://www.discogs.com/Keith-and-R...gs-With-Historical-Narration/release/12253331
1554921028272.png

You can listen to it on Amazon Prime:https://www.amazon.com/dp/1878360116/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Last edited:
Hello friends,

When I was a little boy, my father took our family to most of the major Civil War battlefields across America. At one of these battlefields he bought me an CD with songs from the Civil War era on it. This particular CD was narrated and the story was told from the point of view of America. What I mean is that, the nation of America was personified and told the story from his perspective.

Some of the songs were, "We Are Coming Father Abraham", "Just Before the Battle Mother", "Goober Peas", "When Johnny Comes Marching Home", and many more.

I have scoured the internet and have found many albums containing songs from the civil war, but I have not yet found this particular CD that was narrated from the perspective of the nation of America.

Anyone heard of this?

Much obliged for any help,

Rusty

These fellas have made a lot of CD's..Perhaps sample one or two songs and see if they sounded the same....

1554920440161.png

Back