Looking for Recommendations for a Paper/Document Restoration and Conservation Service

I have no experience here, but I'm looking for someplace that could restore a Civil War era ink drawing. It's water stained, creased and currently glued on an old piece of paper that's definitely not acid-free. Do any of you know of a place that you could recommend? In the Northeast is probably best, since I'd rather drop it off and pick it up in person rather than mail it.

Thanks in Advance!

Fairfield

Sergeant Major
Our historical society has had that kind of work done on various pieces. Each time we've gone to the state museum for recommendations. Like you, we don't want to ship our treasures off and prefer someone in the area. So, I'd suggest that you contact a museum, a college or university, or even a large historical society--all in your geographic area.

An excellent suggestion! Now I just have to find one that is open....

(I teach in Amherst, Mass; we have 5 colleges - Smith, Mount Holyoke, U of Mass, Amherst and Hampshire - within a 10 mile radius and all of them have gone remote.)

Fairfield

Sergeant Major
(I teach in Amherst, Mass; we have 5 colleges - Smith, Mount Holyoke, U of Mass, Amherst and Hampshire - within a 10 mile radius and all of them have gone remote.)
Those colleges maintain a database of their museum collections and services: https://museums.fivecolleges.edu/ This may be useful or simply a phone call. And since you're out in that lovely area, don't forget about the operations at Deerfield and Sturbridge Village.

Gary - I agree with Fairchild and wish you the best of luck. Two years ago I headed a committee at my church in an antique Bible restoration project. We had a limited budget of $800. The Bible cover was damaged, there were two pages with “1950s” style “Scotch “ tape, one page was torn and three pages were creased. The estimates ranged from $2800 to $800 (the latter excluded the cover repair). The most costly item was the “1950s” tape removal- which was an average estimate of $1000. We went with the $800 estimate and got the cover restored at a later time by a leather repair expert.
If you decide to ship your document for restoration I can send you links to the sources we looked at here in Virginia. All were able to give me an estimate by just looking at an email photo. Those photo estimates were all initial estimates - subject to change once the restoration experts actually received the document. The one we selected came in a little under the initial estimate.
Good luck