Looking for people that do native portrayals

You are making a pretty broad statement; assuming native folks or all white folks think alike on issues is kinda insulting, eh?

I can not say all people think the same. I am more use to dealing with First People here in Michigan. The 12 groups of First People in Michigan do not think alike as groups nor do the individuals in the groups think alike. Still the 12 First People groups in Michigan generally do not overly like non First People portraying First People.

As a docent at the State of Michigan, we are encouraged to use the term First People, but others terms are used on some displays. The First People artifacts gallery is closed over signing issues for the last three years and probably will remain closed for some time to come. To be honest getting 12 yes votes on every individual item and every indvidual sign, is dificult.

As a norm I hurry the many visiting school groups through the per European gallery because of this and in general avoid answering students questions about First People , because even as a trained member of the decent guild, I am not qualified to discuss many aspects of First People. For example if a student asked if First People are related to the Chinese or if they originally came from China. I would not be allowed to answer.

You have a tough job.

Not really, docents are not paid so I get to come and go as I please. What is the worse they can do to me? I signed a memorandum, if I am "bad" when I discuss First Americans the punishment is 4 days of retraining and a year of having to have a senior docent supervise me any time I am at the museum. OrI could just not show up for the training and sleep in on those days. A few thousand grade school students each year will not have a docent to show them through the museum.

Back