Uniforms Insignia Looking for info on these units Uniforms.

Graybear43

Cadet
Hey guys I’m doing a massive civil war project for some Wargaming and was wondering what uniforms would be worn by these units?

1st Texas infantry

4th Texas infantry

5th Texas infantry

Terrys Texas Rangers (8th Texas cav)

6th Arkansas Infantry (they would be combined with the 7th Arkansas infantry to make the 6/7th Arkansas infantry)

I’m not looking for any specific time period for these units just general Uniform and insignia colors for painting purposes. If any of y’all know or have resources they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Have you checked into Troiani's works. If I am not badly mistaken he has done some of these regiments, in one way or another.

John

@Graybear43 There is a Troiani print, Lone Star, that features the 1st. Texas at Antietam, I believe. I will check some of my Osprey books and see what I can come up with. Not any kind of expert on Confederate uniforms myself however.

John

@Graybear43 Osprey, Men at Arms series, #37, The Army of Northern Virginia might be helpful.There is a specific officer of one of the Texas regiments you listed that is specifically illustrated. The text may be of more help however. There is a book dealer in New Jersey, On Military Matters that may have a copy. I am not sure if it's out of print or not. The Troiani prints can give you a great idea of what Confederates would look like generally and the Texas brigade is quite popular I believe.

I collect uniform books and uniform plates. This is what I have in my personal library.

1st Texas Infantry - 14 color uniform illustrations and 1 black and white uniform illustration in a total of 8 books or plates
4th Texas Infantry - 24 color uniform illustrations and 3 black and white uniform illustrations in a total of 13 books and plates
5th Texas Infantry - 3 color uniform illustrations and 1 black and white uniform illustration in a total of 2 books and plates
7th Texas Cavalry - 1 color uniform illustration in 1 book
8th Texas Cavalry - 19 color uniform illustrations in 11 books and plates
6th Arkansas - nothing
7th Arkansas - nothing

Because I do not know what references you are using for painting you miniatures I am not sure what you have or don't have. As you can see this is too many color uniform plates in books and single uniform plates to post or send the books and plates and what they show.

I did a quick review of some of the uniform plates in books and other uniform illustrations. Some are from authors and artists that are known for being very knowledgeable, other authors and artist are not as good.
tex inf.jpg

So any thoughts on this uniform card from the First Regimental Collection which was put out in 1995 by Excelsior Press of Bellport, New York? Those boots would not be that great for hard marching.

Graybear43 I sent you a PM (private message) with some information about the 8th Texas Cavalry. If you have not read any PMs yet, you look for the envelope at the top of the page and click on it and it will open.

I collect uniform books and uniform plates. This is what I have in my personal library.

1st Texas Infantry - 14 color uniform illustrations and 1 black and white uniform illustration in a total of 8 books or plates
4th Texas Infantry - 24 color uniform illustrations and 3 black and white uniform illustrations in a total of 13 books and plates
5th Texas Infantry - 3 color uniform illustrations and 1 black and white uniform illustration in a total of 2 books and plates
7th Texas Cavalry - 1 color uniform illustration in 1 book
8th Texas Cavalry - 19 color uniform illustrations in 11 books and plates
6th Arkansas - nothing
7th Arkansas - nothing

Because I do not know what references you are using for painting you miniatures I am not sure what you have or don't have. As you can see this is too many color uniform plates in books and single uniform plates to post or send the books and plates and what they show.
I’m looking for 1861-1862 primarily If that helps?

I did a quick review of some of the uniform plates in books and other uniform illustrations. Some are from authors and artists that are known for being very knowledgeable, other authors and artist are not as good.
View attachment 401285

So any thoughts on this uniform card from the First Regimental Collection which was put out in 1995 by Excelsior Press of Bellport, New York? Those boots would not be that great for hard marching.
From what I have read the black trim is the one consistent thing I have found.

Back