Looking for info about a member of the 79th New York Highlanders

Northern Belle

Private
Hi all,

I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for information (military or personal) about Lt. James Reid, who was with the 79th New York Highlanders. I'm currently researching the life of Sarah Emma Edmonds (who, as I'm sure many of you know, disguised herself as a man and enlisted with the Army of the Potomac). Edmonds allegedly fell in love with Reid, and deserted around the same time he resigned.

This is what I know: Reid was captured during the first battle of Bull Run and spent six months in a Confederate prison camp near Richmond. When he was released in January 1862, he rejoined his regiment, and spent the first nine months of the year in the Carolinas under General Ambrose Burnside. When Burnside was given command of the Army of the Potomac in November, the 79th New York was brigaded with the Second Michigan under the command of Colonel Orlando Poe as part of the Ninth Army Corps, and Reid was promoted to assistant adjutant general. He resigned his commission on April 1, 1863.

One book, "She Rode With the Generals," by Sylvia Dannett, reprints the below letter from Reid but does not cite a source. He wrote this from the Headquarters of the United States Forces, Lebanon, Kentucky, to Lieutenant Colonel Lewis Richmond, A.A.G., tendering his resignation for the following reason:

"My wife's health has been for the last six months very precarious, and lately I have received several intimations from her medical advisers that she cannot recover unless she is conveyed to her native country (Scotland). This cannot be done without my presence, as neither she nor myself have any relatives in this country."

I sent an email to this group: (http://www.79thnewyork.org/) but it bounced back... if anyone has any leads/suggestions/information, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance...

From the 79th's regimental roster at http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/rosters/Infantry/79th_Infantry_CW_Roster.pdf

REID, JAMES.-Age, 26 years. Enrolled May 13, 1861, at New York city, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. B, May 27, 1861; promoted sergeant, no date; sergeant-major, May 21, 1862; second lieutenant , Co. H, June 20, 1862; first lieutenant, Co. I, January 2, 1863; discharged April 28, 1863, at Lebanon, KY.
Commissioned second lieutenant, July 21, 1862, with rank from June 20, 1862, vice James Kinnear, deceased; first lieutenant, October 24, 1862, with rank from September 30, 1862, vice J. Gilmore, promoted; recommissioned first lieutenant, not mustered, June 11, 1863, with rank from same date, vice self resigned.

R

Back