Looking for Indian War kepi

Can anyone point me towards an affordable Indian War Kepi? Finally got an authentic forage cap from Shiloh Relics in honor of my ancestor James Welch, Ohio 73rd, Co E, veteran of Gettysburg, died in 1913. Now looking for an Indian War kepi in honor of his son, Edward Welch, 1st infantry, Co K., who took care of Custer’s horse in the Dakota Territory after the “last stand.” Hoping an Indian War kepi won’t set me back what the forage did!

Can anyone point me towards an affordable Indian War Kepi? Finally got an authentic forage cap from Shiloh Relics in honor of my ancestor James Welch, Ohio 73rd, Co E, veteran of Gettysburg, died in 1913. Now looking for an Indian War kepi in honor of his son, Edward Welch, 1st infantry, Co K., who took care of Custer’s horse in the Dakota Territory after the “last stand.” Hoping an Indian War kepi won’t set me back what the forage did!

I've haven't bought anything from them yet but the Union Drummer Boy has a nice cavalry kepi for $750.

https://uniondb.com/products/indian-war-cavalry-officers-kepi

I hope this helps.

They also almost always show up on eBay but beware because there are a lot of fakes and/or fraternal kepi being sold as authentic. There are also some that are sold as Civil War era when they are, in fact, post Civil War.

There are three Indian Wars kepis offered as a group by New Frontier Auction Company, Loveland CO, to be auctioned July 21, 2018. The company expects the group to sell for between $100 to $300.
Three Indian Wars Kepis.jpg

There are three Indian Wars kepis offered as a group by New Frontier Auction Company, Loveland CO, to be auctioned July 21, 2018. The company expects the group to sell for between $100 to $300.
View attachment 195717
I forgot about those! I saw them on invaluable. That's a decent set and they are currently at $90 but I would anticipate that lot going higher.

Reactions: WJC
I forgot about those! I saw them on invaluable. That's a decent set and they are currently at $90 but I would anticipate that lot going higher.
Thanks for your response.
Whether or not you choose to bid on these, they will give some idea of the current price. That's why I 'lurk' these sites. But if you decide to bid, don't forget there's a premium of 20-25% (each auction company is different), so a $300 winning bid is say $375, plus shipping out-of-pocket.

Made an offer on the uniondb kepi and checked this morning and they pulled it off the site. Maybe it was already sold? I didn’t hear back from uniondb. Too bad! It was perfect! What does everyone think of that New York one on eBay posted above? It’s pretty ratty but is it authentic?

Made an offer on the uniondb kepi and checked this morning and they pulled it off the site. Maybe it was already sold? I didn’t hear back from uniondb. Too bad! It was perfect! What does everyone think of that New York one on eBay posted above? It’s pretty ratty but is it authentic?
Sorry, I guess that link I sent went to a comparable kepi since the other auction was closed. That one is really ratty but I would say it's probably authentic. If you click the blue listing link it will take you to the original auction which is a much nicer cap then you can contact the seller from there to see if it is still available.

You could also go to his website and contact him about it there
http://www.jamesmountainantiques.com/

Thanks for posting this! The James Mountain site is awesome. Spent a lot of time on it yesterday. Is this particular kepi from the year 1892? Is that still considered Indian War period? My ancestor served from 1878 to 1882 so I’m looking for something a little earlier if it’s 1892 however, it’s a beautiful kepi and the price is perfect.

Thanks for posting this! The James Mountain site is awesome. Spent a lot of time on it yesterday. Is this particular kepi from the year 1892? Is that still considered Indian War period? My ancestor served from 1878 to 1882 so I’m looking for something a little earlier if it’s 1892 however, it’s a beautiful kepi and the price is perfect.
I met James Mountain and his wife at the Mansfield Ohio Civil War show. They are great people and seem to be honest and fair. I have not had an opportunity to purchase from them yet but hope to in the future, they definitely have a great website.

It is difficult to assign an exact date but I would say it is an 1872 pattern. My opinion is it was made sometime between 1882, when the company became known as The M.C. Lilley and Co., and 1895 when the issued cap changed drastically in appearance. This cap also has the gold bullion chin strap which started to be used on a limited basis in the 1870s but became very popular by the 1880s. By the appearance of the makers label I would lean closer to the later (1890s) date. This is certainly pre Spanish American War era (1898-1902). Is it Indian War? Some date the Indian War period to as late as the 1920s. Personally I feel the 1880s-1890s would be the end since this was when the last major battles took place. If I were looking at this for my collection I would display it as Indian War/Spanish American War era. Either way you are correct, this is an amazing kepi at a great price.

Sorry, I got confused on which kepi we were looking at. The second one, from James Mountains site, seems a little earlier to me. The buttons are the 1875-1902 pattern. The button backmarks may help narrow that a little.

Back