Looking for Image of Crawford Dunn 5th Maine Regiment

Mild53

First Sergeant
Crawford Dunn fought only one battle for the Fifth Maine - Bull Run. He lost his left arm from a cannon shot that killed Alonso Stinson, the first soldier from Portland lost. His brother remained with the body and was captured. Alzonzo is memorialized on a monument in the eastern cemetary in Portland and shown on this post. Please help me honor Crawford!

If you have or know of an image for Crawford, please respond!

Stinson Monument.jpg

No luck, but it looks like his full name might have been Ronald Crawford Dunn, if that helps with the search.
Thanks for responding! I foound Crawford Dunn of the 5th Maine in the Civil War Research Database. And his service history matches what I know. Can you tell me where you found Ronald Crawford Dunn?

Thanks for responding! I foound Crawford Dunn of the 5th Maine in the Civil War Research Database. And his service history matches what I know. Can you tell me where you found Ronald Crawford Dunn?
Did a search on Ancestry.com and many of the legal papers (wedding certificate, death certificate, etc.) said RCD. It seems he typically went by Crawford.

Wow, very interesting. How did you find this source may I ask?
There are online many several important newspaper archives. That one was from Newspapers.com, iirc. Others are hosted by the Library of Congress, genealogybank.com, N.Y. Public Library & elsewhere. Maine State Library, btw, hosts the Maine Newspaper Project -- I didn't check there.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention--hope you can find what you're looking for! I second John's recommendation for Newspapers.com. I've found some really good stuff on there.

Back