Looking for Henry F Mullen, MD CSA

Never had any luck in trying to find evidence to verify family stories about my 2nd great uncle Henry Franklin Mullen, MD.

Recently my interest in fact finding was renewed when I came across him in the 1910 US Census. The Union or Confederate survivor question was marked with what appears to be Ca.
The 1860 census shows him as a Physician, age 30 in Madison Station, Ala. In 1910 he was living in Selma, Al. where his extended family was located, practicing medicine occasionally.
He may have been an Assistant Surgeon in an Ala Regiment at Spring Hill, Tn. which was held in reserve at Franklin,Tn. I can't find that information now. BTW didn't think the Confederates held any reserves at Franklin,Tn.
Would appreciate any help to find documentation of his service
George

Never had any luck in trying to find evidence to verify family stories about my 2nd great uncle Henry Franklin Mullen, MD.

Recently my interest in fact finding was renewed when I came across him in the 1910 US Census. The Union or Confederate survivor question was marked with what appears to be Ca.
The 1860 census shows him as a Physician, age 30 in Madison Station, Ala. In 1910 he was living in Selma, Al. where his extended family was located, practicing medicine occasionally.
He may have been an Assistant Surgeon in an Ala Regiment at Spring Hill, Tn. which was held in reserve at Franklin,Tn. I can't find that information now. BTW didn't think the Confederates held any reserves at Franklin,Tn.
Would appreciate any help to find documentation of his service
George
George, try the National Park Service's Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Database. You may also request any existing record through the National Archives. Fold 3 is another option. Good luck with your search.

Thanks Dave. NPS database has nothing for him. Don't have access to Fold3.
May look to National Archives. Many ways to misspell Mullen or add to it, Mullens. Have looked at Public records online, don't know where or when he may enlisted or been drafted.
Many thanks for your reply...

There is a very detailed biography on FindaGrave -

I used the facts there to try and find a record on Fold3. There is no record under Henry's name but - in the overall records for the unit he is listed as temporary assistant surgeon -

HenryMullen.png

And that was all I could locate. But it is an official record so there is some proof of service there. BTW - he left a crazy will!

There is a very detailed biography on FindaGrave -

I used the facts there to try and find a record on Fold3. There is no record under Henry's name but - in the overall records for the unit he is listed as temporary assistant surgeon -

View attachment 385145

And that was all I could locate. But it is an official record so there is some proof of service there. BTW - he left a crazy will!
He is also in Fold3 under Confederate Officers. I sent his file to the poster OL.

But it is an official record so there is some proof of service there. BTW - he left a crazy will!
Wow ! Many thanks to you, DaveBrt and @ DaveDuBrucq for helping me solve this problem.
I need to re-read the will, read part of it yrs ago. Have a copy here, somewhere !

His Bio reads he left his family..kinda, sorta. They all died except for two older brothers. About 1832-33 the family of eight moved to New Orleans. Shortly thereafter the father, a son, a daughter died. The mother and remaining children left for Selma, Ala. On the journey the mother and another son died. The two older brothers, Eli and A J carried little Henry much of the trip.

LSU !! Years ago I looked at University of Alabama as I thought he graduated in 1858, but he wasn't listed. Henry was born in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Never thought of looking at LSU. I'm not much of a genealogist.

Henry is listed on the roster of the 20th Ala Inf. as H F Miller, Asst Surg (temporary)

Again, appreciate very much the help I've received to solve this piece of the puzzle.

George

Last edited:
Back