Looking for Help Locating A Period Photo of a U. S. 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer

Thank you for your interest in my project. I am afraid I'm looking for a unicorn but I have to exhaust all possibilities before I give up looking. I want to invite you to come see the Ames No. 6 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer at the Starkville Civil War Arsenal. If you can't come in person go to StarkvilleCivilWarArsenal.com and look at Featured Items on the Homepage.
Very nice website indeed. Thank you for the invitation to visit Starkville Arsenal. It could very well happen. Planning our first visits to a battlefield with Vicksburg and Shiloh first up. The latter will include stays in Savannah and Corinth so Starkville Arsenal would be a must! Hope to see you in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
CivilWarTalk,

Thanks for looking at my thread and thank you for all you do for artillery minded readers. As far as usage of the 24 Pdr. Howitzer in the field, out here in the Western Theater they were more common than you may think. The 1st Illinois Light Artillery Battery D had four of them. They started at Fort Henry, then on to Fort Donaldson, Shiloh, Corinth, Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hill and Vicksburg where they fired over 5,000 rounds. The 1st Illinois ended up going on the Atlanta Campaign. They kept their 24 Pdrs throughout the war and turned them in at war's end.
I know this is not what you are looking for, but perhaps it could help. If you know of any other units that might have utilized these guns, there might be pics. There are a lot of pics of Battery A of the 1st Illinois. Maybe there are some of Battery D floating around out there somewhere...

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/battery-a-1st-illinois-light-artillery-photos.138002/

https://archive.org/details/historyofbatt00kimball/page/n6/mode/1up?view=theater

Did you check the library of congress, I did see a picture of a group of officers standing next to what I think was identified as a 24 lb. field howitzer. Although it could have been a 12 lb. gun. I will try get a link for it.
Daniel Kohli

I think I have found the picture. Here. I found it on the library of Congress website.

1629834951671.png

Daniel Kohli

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is not what you are looking for, but perhaps it could help. If you know of any other units that might have utilized these guns, there might be pics. There are a lot of pics of Battery A of the 1st Illinois. Maybe there are some of Battery D floating around out there somewhere...

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/battery-a-1st-illinois-light-artillery-photos.138002/

https://archive.org/details/historyofbatt00kimball/page/n6/mode/1up?view=theater
I attempted that search myself yesterday, haven't hit on anything yet....

A nice image with a lot going on. Trimmed it a bit for 16x9 (TV) aspect ratio and played with image enhancement. Now a permanent addition to the slide show.

8284792F-4F3E-46ED-86ED-4CFC727E914F.jpeg

I want to thank all of you who tried to locate a photo of 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer for me to display at the Starkville Civil War Arsenal. I knew the chances of finding one were very small. I have been looking for years with no success. My best option at this time is to display a period drawing of the Howitzer. Matt Switlick of Monroe, Mich., was willing to share his 1840's Alfred Mordecai drawing of the 24 Pdr. which was hand colorized by the late John Hooper in the 1970's. Several copies of the original Mordecai drawings, presented to the War Department, were also hand colorized. I will always be on the lookout for the period photo of the Howitzer but until I find one this drawing will do just fine. I want to invite all of you to come see the drawing which is on display with the howitzer.

scan 00052021-10-2912-RTP-3.jpg

Glad you were able to get it. I like it better than a photo as it gives a lot more detail.

Is this perhaps what you were looking for? It may be an old 1841 12lber but I believe it is a 24lber. It is along the northwest edge of Poe field at Chickamauga. I thought I had another picture of it but this is the only one I have. My wife and I are visiting there again later this month and I would be happy to take more photos of it while we are there.

IMG_3303.JPG

Is this perhaps what you were looking for? It may be an old 1841 12lber but I believe it is a 24lber. It is along the northwest edge of Poe field at Chickamauga. I thought I had another picture of it but this is the only one I have. My wife and I are visiting there again later this month and I would be happy to take more photos of it while we are there.

View attachment 433760
It looks possible. When this is the subject matter, my first resort is always to THE acknowledged authority on this stuff, Craig Swain.

He has a photo of a M1841 24 lb field howitzer at Shiloh (last photo in the set). In my experience, Craig is pretty reasonable at giving authority to use - I've done it with attribution crediting him with the work

View attachment 433760
That is a 12lber not 24 but still a nice gun.

Thanks for the picture of the Howitzer from Chickamauga. Judging by the size of the bore I believe it to be a 24 Pdr. I hope you enjoy your trip back to the battlefield in a few weeks and I appreciate your offer to take some more pictures, but what I am looking for is a Civil War Period photo of a 24 Pdr. to accompany the 24 Pdr. that is on display at the Starkville Civil War Arsenal. Keep your eyes open, you never know what you may find someday.

Really late to this, but is the cannon in the right of this photo a 24lb. howitzer?

Gee that looks pretty close! How exciting. I keep going back and forth but these novice eyes can’t tell. Looking forward to Mr. Neubauer’s verdict. It would be so much fun to visit the Starkville Civil War Arsenal someday.

Gee that looks pretty close! How exciting. I keep going back and forth but these novice eyes can’t tell. Looking forward to Mr. Neubauer’s verdict. It would be so much fun to visit the Starkville Civil War Arsenal someday.
Thank you both for your input and interest in the quest for a period photo of a 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer. This is a great photo that I have looked at for years. I wish it was a 24 Pdr. but I believe it is a Big Brother ( 32 Pdr, Field Howitzer). A friend of mine who also has a 24 Pdr. thinks this is a 32 Pdr. also. I hope someday we can meet at the Starkville Civil War Arsenal.

Thank you both for your input and interest in the quest for a period photo of a 24 Pdr. Field Howitzer. This is a great photo that I have looked at for years. I wish it was a 24 Pdr. but I believe it is a Big Brother ( 32 Pdr, Field Howitzer). A friend of mine who also has a 24 Pdr. thinks this is a 32 Pdr. also. I hope someday we can meet at the Starkville Civil War Arsenal.
Well heck. But kudos to BuckPvt for a gallant effort. I must post a thumbs up for the last sentence. It could happen.

Back