Looking for best "single volume" books on civil war..

Hawkeye

Private
Hello,
Was just wondering what books anyone could suggest in the "single volume" category. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Huskerblitz,
I did buy that one; it just seems a little over my head. I read Bruce Cattan's(sp) The Civil War and I thought that one was very good.

Well, it depends on what you are interested in as to what might be a "best" single volume.

I'll offer a few possibilities.

for the causes of the war: The Impending Crisis by David Potter.

for an overview of the whole thing: Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson.

for a military history: How The North Won by Hattaway and Jones
and a good companion: A Battlefield Atlas of the Civil War by Symonds

for the general experience of the average soldier:
Billy Yank and Johnny Reb by Wiley are the two classics (although there are several others that are equally as good IMO and also classics)

Arms and Equipment of the Civil War by Coggins is a great little book that covers the equipment of the various branches of the military and also provides a little info on usage.

for reconstruction: either of Eric Foner's books (there's a long one and a shorter version; might want to start with the short one).

All of those can be had as used volumes for a decent price(check on Amazon).

If you get through those you'll have a pretty good foundation methinks. Then you can begin to delve into more specific areas. Start now to add more shelf space because it is addicting.

Last edited:
John Winn,
I have a large bookshelf at home and it is already overflowing! I need to sell off some books I don't read to make room for some new books I'll be buying. :smile: I have always loved books and as a result have had overfull shelves throughout my life. I appreciate the great booklist! Thanks, Dan

John Winn,
I have a large bookshelf at home and it is already overflowing! I need to sell off some books I don't read to make room for some new books I'll be buying. :smile: I have always loved books and as a result have had overfull shelves throughout my life. I appreciate the great booklist! Thanks, Dan
Much sympathies, Hawkeye. I have walls of CW books. I have no way of judging one.

For a great, dazzling read that just takes your breath away, Bruce Catton's This Hallowed Ground is hard to beat.

My own first one-volume history was Allen C. Guelzo's Fateful Lightning -- it was very good, and introduced me to many themes and topics that I was then inspired to investigate further. For example, I can trace the beginning of my fascination with Grant to a particular chapter in Guelzo's book.

The work that I hear recommended most often, however, is James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom.

This is a top 12 list. I make no judgement of it, I just present it: The top 12 Civil War books ever written
Interesting list -- and I appreciate being introduced to a couple of books I hadn't even heard of that look like very worthwhile reading.

However, most of these are not in the category of comprehensive histories of the war, but rather are treatments of one or another aspect of it -- which is valuable, but maybe not what the OP was asking for.

Interesting list -- and I appreciate being introduced to a couple of books I hadn't even heard of that look like very worthwhile reading.

However, most of these are not in the category of comprehensive histories of the war, but rather are treatments of one or another aspect of it -- which is valuable, but maybe not what the OP was asking for.

Fair enough

- Alan

Back