Looking for B. B. Lewis, CSA

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

DaveBrt

Sergeant Major
B. B. Lewis was a citizen of Mobile before the war. At some point, he moved to Macon, where he rented out two of his slaves to the Macon Arsenal in 1863. Because of his age, he escaped conscription until the ages were expanded 50 years of age in 1864. I assume this means he was born 1810-20. He was appointed the Transportation Agent in Macon in January, 1864. He applied for a pardon in 1866.

The only B. B. Lewis I find in the 1860 Census in Alabama or Georgia is a young lawyer in Mobile. My guess is he is the son of the B. B. I am looking for and the elder had also been a lawyer (the reason he need to apply for a pardon).

Can anyone help me flesh out the man?

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
Biblical Recorder, Raleigh N.C. June 8 1887:
asdf.png

shdfgsf.png
At the time of his second marriage, he was living in Mobile:
19Jan61.png

3 Dec. 1866, N.Y. Herald:
3D66.png

In 1862, he apparently sponsored a CSA company:
12F62.png
Don't know which regiment they wound up in. (Macon Telegraph, Feb. 21, 1862).

Last edited:

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Don't know which regiment they wound up in.
There was a company originally known as Lewis Volunteers that became Co G of the 18th Georgia Infantry, Wofford's Brigade. They were organized in Bartow County (Cassville) though. A long way from Macon, so I dont know if that's the right one.

Here's the Find-A- grave memorial for a Col Benjamin B Lewis whose age, dod, and interment in Oakwood Cemetery Raleigh NC matches the obituary posted by @John Hartwell https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/63741055/benjamin-b_-lewis

Last edited: