Looking For Assistance Researching A Soldier Who Was In Pickett's Charge

I think that the name "O.R. Gillette" is incorrect--but I can find an O.M Gillet who enlisted in North Carolina. He was discharged in 1862 for being too old. But the records are poor and I am awkward with Confederate records as well as military organization. It is possible that he rejoined the army; J. Johnston Pettigrew had come originally from NC as well.

If someone had a roster for that unfortunate unit, it might be possible to determine who he really was.

Another thought, @AlbertWoolson1956 has been working on a project on veterans still alive in 1940. He may have a handle on older vets and may be able to make an educated guess.

I think that the name "O.R. Gillette" is incorrect--but I can find an O.M Gillet who enlisted in North Carolina. He was discharged in 1862 for being too old. But the records are poor and I am awkward with Confederate records as well as military organization. It is possible that he rejoined the army; J. Johnston Pettigrew had come originally from NC as well.

If someone had a roster for that unfortunate unit, it might be possible to determine who he really was.

Another thought, @AlbertWoolson1956 has been working on a project on veterans still alive in 1940. He may have a handle on older vets and may be able to make an educated guess.
I followed your lead on any "O. Gillett---" on Civilwardata.com in the Confederacy, finding only the one. Yes, he enlisted in Company I, 27th North Carolina Infantry on 6/17/1861. A Painter, he said his age was 45. That matches his being cashiered on 7/16/1862 for being overage. In addition, his unit is not shown as being at Gettysburg, it spent that time in NC and SC. So, attempting some mathematical calculations (still, no algebra!!) I figger his birth year was 1816, so he would have been 122 at the 1938 Reunion. Wow, he looks pretty stylin' on film, probably even better shape than yours truly, and I am 40 years younger than that! And I thought my single-malt scotch was helping my youthful appearance.................

Thanks for the feedback.
Does he know of any footage or audio recordings made at the time of the veterans?

I followed your lead on any "O. Gillett---" on Civilwardata.com in the Confederacy, finding only the one. Yes, he enlisted in Company I, 27th North Carolina Infantry on 6/17/1861. A Painter, he said his age was 45. That matches his being cashiered on 7/16/1862 for being overage. In addition, his unit is not shown as being at Gettysburg, it spent that time in NC and SC. So, attempting some mathematical calculations (still, no algebra!!) I figger his birth year was 1816, so he would have been 122 at the 1938 Reunion. Wow, he looks pretty stylin' on film, probably even better shape than yours truly, and I am 40 years younger than that! And I thought my single-malt scotch was helping my youthful appearance.................
The unit into which he initially enlisted wasn't at Gettysburg--but, if he rejoined, following Gen. Pettigrew, he might have been anywhere.

Yes: he sure looks good. Must have been clean living!

Thanks for the feedback.
Does he know of any footage or audio recordings made at the time of the veterans?
I don't know. I flagged his name in hopes that he'd chime in but he's probably off line. But you can always contact him via PM.

Had another thought, there are several "virtual cemeteries" on Find a Grave for ACW vets. The number who survived until the reunion is probably limited.

I think I may have found him. On https://segtours.com/blog/archives/2454, there is a list of veterans who attended that reunion. It was unexpectedly long--but, among the names, is O. Richard Gellette whose address at the time was in Shrevesport, LA.

1625923169308.png

Dallas Morning News (2 June 1944)

It's hard to hear clearly but I think that the film's interviewer referred to him as "General" at one point.

According to Billion Graves, he was born 23 Sep 1845 and died 1 Jun 1944; he is buried with his wife in the Fillmore Cemetery in Haughton, LA; his gravestone says he was a major general. He isn't going to show up on HDS/Civil War Data because none of the 2nd Miss. regiments (there are several, both state and CSA) have a roster.

Last edited:
Tagging @Coonewah Creek who, I think, will have helpful info
I was hoping I could help, but I don't show a "Gellette" or "Gillette" or any other phonetic spelling I could think of in my 2nd Mississippi Infantry Regiment database. Searched again on Fold 3 with no luck, and went to the NPS Soldier's and Sailor's System. Struck out there too. This is not to say the gentleman didn't at one point enlist in the 2nd Mississippi Infantry Regiment, but as we know, Confederate records are often missing or incomplete. This might be the case here. Wish I could have been more help...

Mike

I was hoping I could help, but I don't show a "Gellette" or "Gillette" or any other phonetic spelling I could think of in my 2nd Mississippi Infantry Regiment database. Searched again on Fold 3 with no luck, and went to the NPS Soldier's and Sailor's System. Struck out there too. This is not to say the gentleman didn't at one point enlist in the 2nd Mississippi Infantry Regiment, but as we know, Confederate records are often missing or incomplete. This might be the case here. Wish I could have been more help...

Mike
Somehow the roster of that unit must be lost. I checked back using his obit. Find a Grave (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/10721264/otto-richard-gellette) has two more obituaries posted that indicate that he served on the staffs of Generals Jackson and Lee so there was a transfer to Field and Staff at sometime. General Jackson died in May of 1863, apparently Gellette moved onto the staff of General Lee, and Gettysburg came in July of 1863. He could have been at Pickett's Charge. Gettysburg isn't among the battles he boasted of in the Find a Grave obits--but, if he were with Pettigrew, it might have been so devastating and traumatic that he wouldn't talk about it.

This unfortunate soldier seems to have slipped through the cracks of official records. I'm glad that he became a veterinarian because I love animals and I'm pleased that he lived a long and fruitful life. A worthy fellow.

I think I may have found him. On https://segtours.com/blog/archives/2454, there is a list of veterans who attended that reunion. It was unexpectedly long--but, among the names, is O. Richard Gellette whose address at the time was in Shrevesport, LA.

View attachment 407509

It's hard to hear clearly but I think that the film's interviewer referred to him as "General" at one point.

According to Billion Graves, he was born 23 Sep 1845 and died 1 Jun 1944; he is buried with his wife in the Fillmore Cemetery in Haughton, LA; his gravestone says he was a major general. He isn't going to show up on HDS/Civil War Data because none of the 2nd Miss. regiments (there are several, both state and CSA) have a roster.
He most likely got that title

View attachment 407509

The title "General" was given to some Confedetate veterans that were members of the UCV in some official post like camp commander for example.

Found this on Ancestry.com in the Confederate Officers Card Index.
View attachment 407522
Yankee that I am, I had to look up RCS (for fellow Yanks, it means "Roster of Confederate Soldiers". There is an index on Ancestry but a full, searchable version on (https://archive.org/details/rosterofconfeder0000unse) Archives. It was published in 1995. The keyword should be "official": I suspect that the compilers ran into the same sort of roster-lacking problems that I did 25 years later. They're right: Gellette isn't there--but trying several of the CSA names I've seen here, there are major gaps. The above card must be based on some kind of cemetery survey.

Billion Graves has a photo of the gravestone (which clearly states 2nd Mississippi):
1625943549967.png

I have renewed admiration for all who work their way through Confederate records!

Just one bit more: According to Eric Brock's Shreveport (https://books.google.com/books?id=Dy2G-wG-eoAC&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq="otto+richard+gellette"&source=bl&ots=Am4-IwGmsj&sig=ACfU3U36e3-n8mp9Z2qw5rGTDNj7B07LTg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu97_em9nxAhUOGFkFHaJUB5kQ6AEwCHoECAwQAw#v=onepage&q="otto richard gellette"&f=false), he was one of the last surviving commissioned Confederate officers, died while seated at his desk at the local CVC office and was buried "with full military honors". Also mention was that he spent his career years in Canada (which is why he wouldn't have shown up on census searches, etc.).

In this day of ultra-transparency, it's refreshing to know that it still is possible to "slip under the radar". Though maddening for us. 😊

Also. https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_last_surviving_veterans_of_military_engagements has a list of survivors of active engagements. Scroll down to Pickett's Charge and it is specifically stated: Otto Richard Gellette. The source, however, is a film done by Fergus M. Bordewich--have we come full circle to your source @JohnnnyReb?

Last edited:
Hmmm..... Having looked at lots and lots of CSA records, I'm finding it a bit <ahem> odd that nothing comes up on this guy. His Find A Grave write up says he was born in Iuka, was at Ole Miss when the War broke out, joined the 2nd MS under Colonel Stone, was "(s)oon thereafter.. commissioned a lieutenant," etc. etc.

How would he not be in any records if all that were true? My gr-gr-grandfather served only a few months in the 2nd MS as a lowly private and he's got multiple cards to show for it. I've been able to find most everyone I've looked for in records, even if I had to dig a bit. But this guy left no trace.. Sounds very, very fishy to me.

Hmmm..... Having looked at lots and lots of CSA records, I'm finding it a bit <ahem> odd that nothing comes up on this guy. His Find A Grave write up says he was born in Iuka, was at Ole Miss when the War broke out, joined the 2nd MS under Colonel Stone, was "(s)oon thereafter.. commissioned a lieutenant," etc. etc.

How would he not be in any records if all that were true? My gr-gr-grandfather served only a few months in the 2nd MS as a lowly private and he's got multiple cards to show for it. I've been able to find most everyone I've looked for in records, even if I had to dig a bit. But this guy left no trace.. Sounds very, very fishy to me.
Well, yes it does seem fishy today--but there doesn't seem to have been much question from his fellow veterans and vet organizations (see is paragraph of #17). When several people criticized Joshua Chamberlain re dispute with Ellis Spears, I had worked so deeply with the biographies of his contemporaries that I absolutely knew that this was unfair & inaccurate. My point is that the reactions of a person's contemporaries and peers matter. I doubt that Confederate vets would have put up the money (and expended the time) to afford a full military funeral to a private or someone who didn't exist (of all people, UCV would have picked up on this).

It is odd. So if his birth date is right, he would have only been 15 when Company K was being formed. Unlikely he would not have been found out and discharged for being under-age as were several other members of the regiment in the early months of the war. Even more unlikely he would have been commissioned a lieutenant soon after joining at his age. His name is nowhere mentioned in any of the primary material I have seen on the 2nd Mississippi. Yet, there is no mistaking the mention of Colonel Stone (who was actually the Captain of Company K when Gillette presumably enlisted). I have 1,888 member records or partial records for the regiment, and I can't believe I'm missing very many. But yes, if he fell through the cracks without a mention anywhere in any other official records, that is truly unfortunate.

Back