Muzzleldrs Looking for advice on an 1861 Springfield value

RobertH

Private
I might go look at an 1861 Springfield this weekend. Three bands, all the wood is there but a little beat up. Rust on the steel. Missing the butt plate, rear sight and ramrod. The whole thing is in bad need of a restoration.

He's asking $400. I'm thinking somewhere around 250? I'd post a couple pics but they're not my pics. Is that allowed to post somebody's else's photos?
Any thoughts on value?
Thanks

RobertH

Private
Rode hard and put away wet. And yes , that's an extra hole in the barrel.

Capture.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Capt.JPG

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
I would offer him $250 if he takes it awesome. $400 for that as a project gun isn’t out of line. Buy it. Send it to Lodgewood to restore. Little more than a new barrel, butt plate and ramrod and you’ll have something nice for not a lot more than a quality repop and a 62 Springfield lock is rather desirable.

RobertH

Private
I would offer him $250 if he takes it awesome. $400 for that as a project gun isn’t out of line. Buy it. Send it to Lodgewood to restore. Little more than a new barrel, butt plate and ramrod and you’ll have something nice for not a lot more than a quality repop and a 62 Springfield lock is rather desirable.

Even with the butt plate cut off? It's been shortened , right?

Craig L Barry

Sergeant Major
Just out of curiosity, any ideas with the extra hole in the barrrel?
Well, if the barrel is replaced, then no problem but if not the area could repaired and the rear leaf sight would cover it. I don't think it is being restored as anything that would be live fired again. At least I hope not.

Jeff in Ohio

Sergeant
Just out of curiosity, any ideas with the extra hole in the barrrel?
This was once made into a floor lamp, with the butt plate cut off square and some sort of metal base fastened to it so it would stand upright, and then a hole was drilled into the barrel so the cord could be threaded through the barrel up to the top, where some sort of lamp was fastened. if it was just the barrel, it could easily replaced, but with the stock cut off short and flat, you couldn't fix that as easily.

RobertH

Private
More than likely it was made into a lamp. Having the end of the buttstock cut flat is another sign too.

That's got to be it. It makes sense now with the little screw holes on the stock too. How sad, I hate seeing that. When you think of all the places this rifle may have been, and somebody makes it into a floor lamp!

That was a fad back int he 60's and 70's. I remember my Mother "electrifying" a couple of antique pewter oil lamps. Everybody thought it was so cool. Now it's considered a "sin". At least I do.

Last edited:

RobertH

Private
It can be restored.

How do you think it would be restored? Add the missing piece back on and match as best possible? I looked around a little, I don't see a complete stock for sale anywhere. The shortened/missing butt plate probably kills it for me. Everything else on it is restorable. Not for shooting, but just a good looking wall hanger.

Last edited:

Kyle Kalasnik

Sergeant
This was once made into a floor lamp, with the butt plate cut off square and some sort of metal base fastened to it so it would stand upright, and then a hole was drilled into the barrel so the cord could be threaded through the barrel up to the top, where some sort of lamp was fastened. if it was just the barrel, it could easily replaced, but with the stock cut off short and flat, you couldn't fix that as easily.
Unbelievable that someone would do that.

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
How do you think it would be restored? Add the missing piece back on and match as best possible? I looked around a little, I don't see a complete stock for sale anywhere. The shortened/missing butt plate probably kills it for me. Everything else on it is restorable. Not for shooting, but just a good looking wall hanger.
Adding a piece and blending it. It could be made shootable with a replacement barrel and stock work. It’s up to you what you want to do with her. For me the lock and parts alone would be worth the $250