1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Looking For Actual Photos of USS Susquehanna 1850 - 1883

Discussion in 'Period Civil War Photos & Examinations' started by Susquehanna River Rat, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Susquehanna River Rat

Susquehanna River Rat Private

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a research project. I am doing research on the side wheel steam frigate USS Susquehanna (1850 - 1883). I have seen actual photographs in books of the ship taken during the Civil War but I need to get my hands on some prints of anything showing the details of the ship itself.
    The pictures I have seen are of the ship at anchor, probably off the coast of Pensacola, Florida. Another shows the Officers of the ship onboard. Also there is a photo of a visitation by VP Andrew Johnson together with the Officers. A really interesting one shows the forward gun crews during training exercises. There is also a very rare photograph of the ship being built at the Philadelphia Naval Yard in 1849-50.
    Does anyone know where I can get such photos? Again, I am looking for actual photographs of the ship. There are many drawings and paintings but because of fact that they are mostly "artist renderings" of the ship and not really accurate, they are pretty much useless to me for this project.

Bill

AndyHall likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. TugBaltimore

TugBaltimore Cadet

Bill - do you have engineering plans for the USS Susquehanna? The photos I've seen, and artwork are all from a distance. Little detail is evident in those. I wrote to the National Archives this morning, asking if they have plans. I'll let you know when I get an answer. I'm also interested in building a model. - David

AndyHall likes this.
  4. AndyHall

AndyHall Lt. Colonel Forum Host

LoC has one of officers on the quarterdeck, that I imagine is the one you have.

Another image there is by A. R. Waud. While I know you're hesitant about artist's renderings, Waud had a very good eye for nautical things, and some of his work is very precisely detailed. I wouldn't disregard his sketch just because it's not a photograph.

5. Susquehanna River Rat

I have the plans for the USS Powhatan. They are sister ships but not exact copies of each other. There are some major differences. I have looked at different models that have been built but according to my research, no one has gotten it right yet. I will get back to you later on this. HAve to get to an appointment.

6. Susquehanna River Rat

7. Susquehanna River Rat

Yes. I have the photo of the officers but they are on the gun deck. They are standing directly aft of what was called the "Hurricane Deck." That was a raised deck between the paddle wheel boxes. From there, the Captain could observe all deck operations when the ship saw action. I also have one of the officers with Vice President Andrew Johnson when he visited the ship.

8. Susquehanna River Rat

image.jpg This is also a very good photo........

chubachus and AndyHall like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)