Looking for a source on imports

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Speaking of Tariffs ...

As a newbie I was continually referred to, The worthless thread below, IMHO this is an antiquated and over politicized thread, which was and is a ticket to nowhere.

YOU WILL LEARN NEXT TO NOTHIH' AT BELOW LINK

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/how-did-tariffs-work.1166/

15 pgs of my life I wasted the first time, about 4 years ago, then again about a year later I did it again when I saw it referred to me once more. And I knew less than when I began.

If there is anything it should be purged from this site, it is this thread that politically inspired morons come along to attach their diatribes to.

Respectfully submitted,
obj
Woah! I read just the first page. I was worried that @unionblue was being sucked into the tariff as the cause of secession, but as we all know, he eventually got his mind right. :smile coffee:

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
Please review for accuracy. The original document at #23

View attachment 295993
View attachment 295994
"the cities of the South [are] provincial. Their growth is paralyzed; they are mere suburbs of Northern cities. The agricultural productions of the South are the basis of the foreign commerce of the United States; yet Southern cities do not carry it on. Our foreign trade is almost annihilated."

"the cities of the South [are] provincial. Their growth is paralyzed; they are mere suburbs of Northern cities. The agricultural productions of the South are the basis of the foreign commerce of the United States; yet Southern cities do not carry it on. Our foreign trade is almost annihilated."
  1. care to tell whom you are quoting here?
  2. don't you think it would have been up to southern governours to do sth about it? like promoting direct trade with england (actually anything but starting a war)
to me that sounds like annihilation by neglicence

wilber6150

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
deep in the Mohawk Valley of Central New York
I don't know what you are trying to do, but remember that by about 1840, most Southern overseas trade was conducted through New York, after coastal shipping carried it there (and the reverse, obviously).
If you examine the data you will see the imports being shipped by coastal shipping as well, and it's no where close to what was arriving into Northern ports

I'm not aware that any other section of the country prevented the Southern states from developing their own ports to directly conduct trade with Europe. As a side note, I seem to recall from a while past that the reason the northern section of the east coast developed as the major port area for trade had to do with the tradewinds for the trip from Europe and the gulfstream currents for the return trip from the upper coast area of the Eastern United States that favored this part of the country over the southern lower coast. Am I remembering correctly?

wilber6150

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator

wilber6150

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I'm not aware that any other section of the country prevented the Southern states from developing their own ports to directly conduct trade with Europe. As a side note, I seem to recall from a while past that the reason the northern section of the east coast developed as the major port area for trade had to do with the tradewinds for the trip from Europe and the gulfstream currents for the return trip from the upper coast area of the Eastern United States that favored this part of the country over the southern lower coast. Am I remembering correctly?
I have heard that as well but can't recall a source

And why do you suppose that was so?
Because so-called Packet Traders out of New York were being subsidized by the federal government.

U.S. Mail coming in and out of the country was required to go through the Port of New York. Packets were being paid to take mail to Europe in otherwise empty ships, where they loaded manufactures and transported them home at the going rate.

They figured out they could take Southern cotton (and other commodities) at rock-bottom prices with them and they did so. It's because of this that goods were shipped to New York, unloaded on the docks and re-loaded onto ships whose passages to Europe were being subsidized by the Postal Service.

Not bad work, if you can get it.