Looking for A Confederate with the last name Jones....

LovinHistory

Private
Looking for a relative of a Confederate Soldier named Jones who's Dauggters last name was Bowen.The Confederate Sokdier named jones was a friend of my Great Great Grandfather Christopher Jesberg.Mr.Jones lived in St.Joseph Missouri after the war.

A common last name, no first name... hmmm.

There are three veterans in the 1890Census living in St Joseph named Jones.

Merrit Jones, Oliver Jones, and William A Jones. Very little information is given on them.

Oliver served in Company A of the 14th Illinois Cavalry. He died in a soldiers and sailors home December 31, 1899. He's buried in Quincy, Illinois. I could not find family info on him.

William Jones is a bit of a mystery. The info on the 1890 Veterans Census says he served with the 2nd Iowa. But the William Jones who served with the 2nd Iowa has records showing he died of wounds while in service. The official record also shows he was born in England in 1838 and lived in Dubuque. There is a William Jones, born in England in 1836 and living in Dubuque, who survives the War and dies in 1906. But none of his children marries someone named Bowen....

Okay - I think I have this William down. Born 1827 in New York, was in the 2nd Iowa Cavalry, Company C. He's buried in Missouri.

But - not a Confederate.

They refer to him as Mr.Jones in the newspaper.It's great that my Great Great Grandfather had a Confederate friend in St.Joseph.The stories that they could both tell would have been amazing

Looking for a relative of a Confederate Soldier named Jones who's Dauggters last name was Bowen.The Confederate Sokdier named jones was a friend of my Great Great Grandfather Christopher Jesberg.Mr.Jones lived in St.Joseph Missouri after the war.

Well there were 460 Confederates named Jones from Missouri alone according to The Soldiers & Sailors Database. But you must assume he didn’t necessarily serve in a Missouri regiment if you only know about post war. It’s a monumental undertaking without more information. S&S database Has some 20,000 Federals & 16,000 Confederates surnamed Jones enlisted during the war. But also, what if he was a guerrilla fighter & not even officially enlisted (Missouri right).

I would check the post war census record for Jones in St. Joseph first I think… then take all the men who would have been military age during hostilities & search their names through the database of Confederates from Missouri. You might get lucky or at least get a smaller list of potential hits. Sorry but that’s a tough one. 🤷‍♂️

next time hit us up for a “john jacob jingleheimer schmidt” & we might be able to help you out better! 😂👍

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search...fq[]=Side:"Confederacy"&fq[]=State:"Missouri"

50466A26-6D64-46A4-9945-C8A8F8AC4284.jpeg

I tried using the info on the daughter as a clue - I pulled marriage records in Missouri for women named Jones who married men named Bowen. There were a few but none seemed to fit. I think we will need more info to go any further with this.

Okay - I read the article in your other thread and that had the info we needed. The man you are interested in is William P. Jones. He was born in Tennessee about 1845. His family was living in Claiborne County in 1860, where his father was a farmer. I'm assuming he is the William P. Jones who enlisted in Tazewell (the Claiborne County seat) in April of 1862. He was in Company A of the 63rd Tennessee Infantry, enlisting as a private. He was appointed a corporal in February of 1863. In April of that year he transferred to Captain Fulkerson's company (Co. F) in the 1st Tennessee Cavalry. He seems to have moved to St. Joseph not long after the War ended - he is there in 1870, working as a clerk in a clothing store. Later he owned a clothing store, which is where the incident described in the newspaper article took place. He married a woman named Delia and seems to have had no children.

For what it's worth I found the following info via Ancestry and Find A Grave.
  1. Hugh Jones Bowen as born in Grainger County TN in 1859 and died in St. Joseph MO in 1930. Find A Grave lists his mother as Margeret Virginia Jones Bowen (1835 - 1905) and father as John Perry Bowen (1827 - 1906). Find A Grave states they were married in 1857. All three appear in the 1870 Census for Grainger County.
  2. The 1850 Census shows Mary V. Jones, daughter of Hugh and Tharsy Jones living in Claiborne County TN (adjacent to Grainger County). She is listed as being aged 13. Four brothers appear in that census - Daniel, William P., Isaac N. and James F. aged 11, 5, 3 and 1 respectively.
  3. William P. Jones shows in the 1870 and 1880 Census as being a clothier in St. Joseph MO.
The location of the two counties suggest the incident outline in the newspaper would have occurred during the Knoxville Campaign.

Back