Longstreet Longstreet's Unique Wartime Staff: Article by Norman Dasinger Jr in Blue & Gray Education Society's Dispatch

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
The other day, I received the Dispatch from Blue & Gray Education Society.

I've been meaning to post a link the very interesting article by Norman Dasinger Jr entitled Longstreet's Unique Wartime Staff. I'm glad I waited because I just saw that @Norman Dasinger Jr has become a member!

If you've ever wondered about who Longstreet's staff officers were; what they did before the war; and what became of them after the war --- it's all in this article, published by Blue and Gray Education Society, in their Dispatch of January 25, 2021.

1611955850410.png

Read the article HERE and please join me in welcoming @Norman Dasinger Jr as a new member of CivilWarTalk. I am very much looking forward to his contributions at CWT.

I've been meaning to post a link the very interesting article by Norman Dasinger Jr entitled Longstreet's Unique Wartime Staff. I'm glad I waited because I just saw that @Norman Dasinger Jr has become a member!

If you've ever wondered about who Longstreet's staff officers were; what they did before the war; and what became of them after the war --- it's all in this article, published by Blue and Gray Education Society, in their Dispatch of January 25, 2021.

View attachment 389351
Read the article HERE and please join me in welcoming @Norman Dasinger Jr as a new member of CivilWarTalk. I am very much looking forward to his contributions at CWT.
Thanks for sharing! I actually just came across the blueandgrayeducation.org the other night for the first time and was perusing the site. Enjoyed it!

Pemberton's staff at Vicksburg had some good officers. His chief engineer among them.

How did the Federals staff organizations compare to the Confederates?

I recently read a bio of Wigfall. He was trying to push thru legislation to increase the size and Rank of Confederates Staff. Davis was resistant to it. Seems as tho that would of been a definite disadvantage.

I rode with Laura on the Knoxville tour. Really enjoyed it. Glad to have you here.

@lelliott19 -- I'm able to read Norman's article by following this link, and I was able to read the article you wrote a few months ago. But I'm not able to figure out any way to subscribe to the Blue and Gray Dispatch. Is that a publication? Is it somehow sent out as a regular newsletter or something? Or is there an online archive of some kind?

Roy B.

Last edited:

View attachment 389351
Welcome!

Pemberton's staff at Vicksburg had some good officers. His chief engineer among them.
Yes he did as my GGG Grandfather Col WH McCardle (my avatar) was his AAG. Maj. Samuel H. Lockett has a monument at Vicksburg NMP and he was over here in Demopolis after Vicksburg fell.

Samuel J Lockett
1612316180835.png

@Norman Dasinger Jr I recently read a comparison of Longstreet's staff vs. Jackson's staff. The author based his comparison of how each staff member was selected and how they performed. He indicated that Longstreet selected men of character, intelligence and other military values... while Jackson selected mainly his friends or men who he was acquainted before the war. He indicated how well Longstreet's staff performed compared to Jackson's, who's struggled.

Back