Overland Longstreet's Sharpshooter Battalions during the Overland Campaign

(Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor)
Ok since I have many of the interested parties assembled here in one place......

Can someone tell me what Sharpshooter Battalions were with Longstreet at Knoxville? Was it just the Palmetto SS and 3d Battn GA?

And any idea which outfit was in the location at the time of Colonel/Brig Gen William Price Sanders mortal wounding?

Thanks.
Laura

EDIT TO ADD: Oooooppps. :frantic: Just realized this thread is about Longstreet's SS in the Overland Campaign. Sorry about that. Let me know if you want me to split this to a new thread. Just trying to take advantage of the previous expertise. :D

Last edited:
Ok since I have many of the interested parties assembled here in one place......

Can someone tell me what Sharpshooter Battalions were with Longstreet at Knoxville? Was it just the Palmetto SS and 3d Battn GA?

And any idea which outfit was in the location at the time of Colonel/Brig Gen William Price Sanders mortal wounding?

Thanks.
Laura

EDIT TO ADD: Oooooppps. :frantic: Just realized this thread is about Longstreet's SS in the Overland Campaign. Sorry about that. Let me know if you want me to split this to a new thread. Just trying to take advantage of the previous expertise. :D
I believe the 3rd Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters was the only official sharpshooter battalion with Longstreet's Corps. The 3rd South Carolina Battalion (aka James' Battalion) in Kershaw's Brigade often acted as the brigade's designated skirmishers/sharpshooters and had hand-picked men from the rest of the brigade transferred to it. And, as discussed before, despite their name, the Palmetto Sharpshooters didn't really specialize as sharpshooters.

At Chattanooga the 4th Alabama Infantry was used as sharpshooters for a time. They were sent into Lookout Valley, positioned along the bluffs of the Tennessee River on Raccoon Mountain in order to harass the Federal wagon trains on the opposite side. Though I don't know if they were in any way the usual go-to skirmishers/sharpshooters for Law's Alabama Brigade, as a regiment would sometimes specialize in (although that was usually a Union practice).

Edit: According to D. Augustus Dickert's history of Kershaw's Brigade, 447, he says two companies of selected men from across the brigade were added to the 3rd South Carolina Battalion and it was organized to serve as brigade sharpshooters. Dickert doesn't say exactly when but apparently that was in 1864.

As for Sanders' wounding, it sounds like it was by men from Kershaw's Brigade. In Earl J. Hess's The Knoxville Campaign, 91-92, he says that despite legends that a local East Tennessean took the shot, Kershaw's South Carolinians were the only Confederate unit involved in that action, and that the shot likely came from sharpshooters in the Armstrong house or from the 2nd or 3rd South Carolina regiments.

Last edited:
I always thought it was Longstreet's Whitworth sharpshooters who shot Sanders from the Bleak House. As a reward, they were shelled out of the cupola.

Back