Longstreet smoking cigars?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

OldReliable1862

Sergeant
Forum Host
2c9c4771beca2ca9aeac2f48777ca1d4-jpg.jpg

As can be seen above, Dale Gallon depicts Longstreet smoking a cigar in his depiction of Hood protesting his order on 2 July. This is just a quick question, but do we know of Lomgstreet smoking during the war?

Paging @Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose

Captain
Forum Host
This is just a quick question, but do we know of Lomgstreet smoking during the war?
I have seen references to General Longstreet and cigars in several books and articles. They usually depict him as chewing on the cigar more so than smoking it. Since smoking was fairly commonplace during this time period, I feel certain he did. We know General Grant offered General Longstreet a cigar when he entered the McLean House at Appomattox and he happily accepted it.

OldReliable1862

Sergeant
Forum Host
I have seen references to General Longstreet and cigars in several books and articles. They usually depict him as chewing on the cigar more so than smoking it. Since smoking was fairly commonplace during this time period, I feel certain he did. We know General Grant offered General Longstreet a cigar when he entered the McLean House at Appomattox and he happily accepted it.
Thanks @Eleanor Rose!