Longstreet Slept Here: Headquarters Museum at Russellville, TN (12/1863 - 2/1864)

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
20211119_153603.jpg

After the November 29 failed assault on Fort Sanders at Knoxville, Longstreet abandoned the siege and retired further into East Tennessee. Leaving the city on December 4, 1863, his forces reached Rogersville, TN on December 9th. Following a return trip down the valley toward Knoxville for some skirmishes and engagements, the various brigades of Longstreets force settled in at Russellville, TN for an extremely cold and miserable winter.
20211119_160440.jpg

It was here at Russellville, TN on or about December 22, 1863 that Lieut Gen James Longstreet established his headquarters at the Nenney House. The various brigades of Longstreet's command established winter quarters on nearby farms, as close to the railroad as possible. At the time, the Nenney house was considered a "fashionable" modern home. In 1834, William Nenney purchased the land and moved a small house onto it. Additions were made to the original house over the next decade, so that eventually, the original cabin became a wing of the main house.
20211123_091659.jpg

Prior to 1850, William's brother, Charles Nenney, moved into the house with his wife Sarah Nenney and their children. Charles was a farmer and merchant, who helped to found the East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad. He also served as one of the first trustees of the historic Bethesda Presbyterian Church.
20211121_214348.jpg

In 1857, Charles Nenney died, leaving Sarah a widow with six children. On the 1860 US Census, Sarah is listed as head of household, with three children at home and still attending school. Her daughter, Lucy, had recently died also.
20211121_214800.jpg

Although this area of East Tennessee was heavily divided, the three sons of Charles and Sarah Nenney supported the Confederacy in various capacities. Son William served in the 3rd Engineers; James joined the 6th TX cavalry; and Charles served as Russellville's depot agent.

The museum owns a real treasure and the staff are extremely knowledgeable. Shane Miles took us through the house and I honestly don't believe there was a single question we could have asked that he could not have answered! He was fantastic! I'll start with pictures from the grounds and then post pictures from inside.
20211121_214902.jpg

Outside, we were pleasantly surprised to find the farm office that was used by Joseph B. Kershaw December 22, 1863 through January 29, 1864. Kershaw established his headquarters on farm not far from Longstreet's headquarters at the Nenney House and McLaws' headquarters at Hayslope. Years later, an industrial park was being constructed. Luckily someone was there who knew the significance of the tiny building as Kershaw's headquarters - so it was saved and relocated. Next it was moved to the yard of a South Carolina lady who wanted it, and when she died, the museum was able to obtain it. They had it moved to the grounds of the Nenney House so that visitors could view it.
20211119_160022.jpg

I had no idea it was going to be there. Some of you know that McLaws' division is my main research interest, and Joseph B. Kershaw is among the foremost within that interest, so it's no surprise that I was thrilled to see the little building. But I was even more thrilled when Shane offered to unlock it so we could go inside!
20211119_160156.jpg

I'm not sure how much of the building is original, like doors and such, but a lot of the floor is. A couple of the boards near the door have been replaced, so I found the original ones, nearest the door, where I know Joe Kershaw would have walked and I put my foot on them for this picture. There's my foot -- on the same boards that JBK would have walked on in the winter of 1863/64. I know it's silly. But I wanted to recognize the significance of the moment and it was the best I could think of. :D
20211119_160210.jpg

Tennesee State Historical marker in front of the main house.
20211119_160455.jpg

Civil War Trails interpretive marker near the rear entrance.
20211119_143331.jpg

Shane Miles providing background before taking us inside.
20211119_143324.jpg

A horse and carriage mounting block outside the house.
20211119_143403.jpg

As promised, here are some pictures from inside.
20211119_144155.jpg

The stairway. I just love these plain farmhouse stairs with their simple picket railings in houses of this era.
20211121_214648.jpg

This is the room on the lower level, to the left of the stairway. It is full of interpretive information including the history of the Nenney House and accounts of Longstreet's time spent there.
20211119_144346.jpg

And maps and artwork and a beautiful fireplace.
20211119_144119.jpg

Across the hall, still on the ground floor. We were told that the telegraph machine was brought over and set up here so Longstreet's staff could send and receive directly from the house.
20211119_144243.jpg

There were all kinds of artifacts exhibited in the house, most all of them having been dug in the area.
20211119_150355.jpg

Look @ucvrelics and @redbob its the tongue from a two-piece Alabama Volunteer Corps belt plate. I would have never expected anyone would find one of these from so late in the war?
20211119_152034.jpg

And here's a cylinder from a Colt revolving rifle that was dug at Bean's Station (i think?).
20211119_152024.jpg

All of these pictures were taken in the telegraph room too. There were some things that weren't dug and the folks at the museum were super generous in allowing us to handle the firearms.
20211119_145937.jpg

I don't think I've ever held a rifle musket with the bayonet on it before. It sure does change the balance of the gun.
20211121_214526.jpg

I had to take a picture of this reproduction Augusta Arsenal box. You never know when you might need such a photograph.
20211119_145908.jpg

And I really liked this signage showing the command structure during the Nenney house time frame -- although I guess I should mention that, once again, neither McLaws or Kershaw are pictured. :whistling:
20211119_144327.jpg

If you get a chance to visit, maybe you could mention that? :biggrin:

As promised, here are some pictures from inside.
View attachment 422815
The stairway. I just love these plain farmhouse stairs with their simple picket railings in houses of this era.
View attachment 422816
This is the room on the lower level, to the left of the stairway. It is full of interpretive information including the history of the Nenney House and accounts of Longstreet's time spent there.
View attachment 422817
And maps and artwork and a beautiful fireplace.
View attachment 422818

Across the hall, still on the ground floor. We were told that the telegraph machine was brought over and set up here so Longstreet's staff could send and receive directly from the house.
View attachment 422820
There were all kinds of artifacts exhibited in the house, most all of them having been dug in the area.
View attachment 422821
Look @ucvrelics and @redbob its the tongue from a two-piece Alabama Volunteer Corps belt plate. I would have never expected anyone would find one of these from so late in the war?
View attachment 422822
And here's a cylinder from a Colt revolving rifle that was dug at Bean's Station (i think?). View attachment 422823
Last time was there I got to lay in the rope bed and then tried to buy the AVC buckle. The lady told me it was on loan and gave the guys name and # and when I called him he just laughed. We talked relic hunting for awhile.

Upstairs and to the right, we were shown to the room that Longstreet occupied during his stay at the Nenney house.
20211119_153220.jpg

Is this the rope bed you got to lay in @ucvrelics ??? If so, I am so jealous! This is supposed to be the bed Longstreet slept in when he was there! I got to walk on the floor boards he would have walked on and put my foot on the ones Joe Kershaw would have trod, but I did not get to lay in the bed! No fair! :nah disagree:And you're not even a Longstreet fan.
20211119_153236.jpg

That desk under the front window is where Longstreet would have sat to pen his correspondence to John G. Foster on January 3, 1864. In case you missed it, here's a link to that heated exchange. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/war-of-words-a-circular-squabble-in-east-tennessee.190652/
20211119_153603.jpg

And here's the bed from another angle. @ucvrelics slept here. :D There's a cool checkerboard that was sketched on the bottom of a drawer with a piece of charcoal but I can't seem to find that picture. Hopefully @Diane123 will post some of hers.

Last edited:
Upstairs and to the right, we were shown to the room that Longstreet occupied during his stay at the Nenney house.
View attachment 422828
Is this the rope bed you got to lay in @ucvrelics ??? If so, I am so jealous! This is supposed to be the bed Longstreet slept in when he was there! I got to walk on the floor boards he would have walked on and put my foot on the ones Joe Kershaw would have trod, but I did not get to lay in the bed! No fair! :nah disagree:And you're not even a Longstreet fan.
View attachment 422829
That desk under the front window is where Longstreet would have sat to pen his correspondence to John G. Foster on January 3, 1864. In case you missed it, here's a link to that heated exchange.
View attachment 422830
And here's the bed from another angle. @ucvrelics slept here. :D There's a cool checkerboard that was sketched on the bottom of a drawer with a piece of charcoal but I can't seem to find that picture. Hopefully @Diane123 will post some of hers.
Its amazing what a $100 donation will get you:D I remember it well as my Dad and I would spend a whole week doing the 450 yard sale and that was the last year he was able to do it.

Back