Longstreet recommended McLaws for corps command

rpkennedy

Lt. Colonel
Member of the Year
I've never heard Davis wasn't a fan of Lee before?? Not saying they were besties, but they seemed to have a solid working relationship, as opposed to most of the other army commanders in the Confederacy.
He meant that Davis wasn't a fan of Longstreet, and Lee made the problem go away. I had to reread it a couple times before I realized what @Pete Longstreet was saying.

Ryan

danny

Sergeant
It's mentioned in the book: Lee and Longstreet at Gettysburg by Glenn Tucker. And I believe I read it somewhere else as well. I was going to say Wert's book, but you just said he makes no mention of it. I'll have to do some research to see where else I read it. But at the time of the reorganization, it makes sense that Longstreet would advocate for McLaws. After all, they were friends, West Point classmates, McLaws was a Georgian, as was Longstreet. Though that relationship was severely tested later on in the war.
I've always understood that McLaws was under special guidance by Longstreet to keep him from critical mistakes.

Pete Longstreet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I've always understood that McLaws was under special guidance by Longstreet to keep him from critical mistakes.
Lee did put McLaws under Longstreet's care and to looked after. I believe Lee had issues with McLaws, starting at Antietam. Even though Longstreet recommended him for corps command... McLaws didn't seem to stand a chance in Lee's eyes.